I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle reamer question
Posted by: Jim Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 06, 2003 11:51AM

I am a hobby builder currently working on my 4th fly rod. I have been using a commercially sold reamer made out a scrap piece of blank coated with an abrasive. While this works okay, it has just about seen the end of its usefullness since much of the abrasive has worn off. I was wondering what some of the more experienced and/or commercial rod builders use for this job. I've considered a coarse rat tail file, but I want to see what you folks use before I get ready for my next rod.

Thanks inadvance for your input.

Jim Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle reamer question
Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.nas25.thornton1.co.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 06, 2003 01:23PM

I make my own reamers using 1/2" abrasive backed paper rolls. (Many sponsors sell these rolls) I start by selecting scrap pieces of thick walled fiberglass blanks. These scrap pieces are sometimes given away by manufactures (I know Sharon at Allstar has done this numerous times). I then use U-40 Rodbond to adhere the abrasive strip to the blank in a spiral fashion. It helps to wrap the abrasive around the blank before you apply the epoxy so that it takes on a spiral shape. I just use masking tape to secure the ends of the paper down. The epoxy will keep them stuck to the blank with no problems. After the adhesive is secured, I use appropriately sized old drill bits and epoxy them half way into the end of the blank giving me a secure shaft to mount the reamer in a hand drill or in my lathe. When using this type of reamer you need to spin your drill in the opposite direction of the paper spiral. Otherwise, the reamer will screw into the cork and might break the grip. I usually use these reamers with a cordless hand drill so I can ream my cork right over a trash can. It is fast, easy and nearly effortless.

Jeff - Platte River Rods

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: July 06, 2003 01:35PM

May sound funny but try a rat tailed bastard file in a cordless drill for reaming. Much faster!

Posted by: Ted Hudgins (---.indstr01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2003 02:42PM

Wire brushes turned by a lathe. Start with the next size up from the pilot hole and just increase a little at a time until you have the right diameter. Takes about 3 minutes.

Posted by: Jim Randall (---.grantnoc.org)
Date: July 06, 2003 05:32PM

I've used the reamers and files for reaming, they work but not very good. I have the best luck using drill bits chucked into my rod lathe. Just use progressive sizes stepping up gradually until you have a good fit. If bit is too short to drill entire length just turn cork around. Works fast, bored perfectly round and centered, no run out, difficult to do with reamers and files. In addition to being more accurate and a great fit, just takes a couple of minutes.

Posted by: Larry Thomas (4.40.159.---)
Date: July 07, 2003 12:40PM

You just can't beat the adhesive belts made for hobby sanders. They are about 3/4 in width and wrap nicely around the reamer blank. Leave about 1/4" between wraps for removing residue. Use expoxy to glue the stip to the blank. Twist tight and hold in place with rubber bands until dry. Not messy and the grit does not wear off.

Two things to make any reamer better. Leave the top 2" free. This serves as a pilot to keep your reamer running straight. Put a handle on the other end. Much easier to twist it.

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 07, 2003 01:08PM

Yea, but be sure to run it in reverse, or you will screww the rat tail into the piece. Also, cut off the rat tail for chucking.

Posted by: John Ramsay (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:27PM

Anglers workshop used to sell Aluminum oxide grit. coat the rod blank with epoxy and roll the blank in the grit. this can be done over and over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster