I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Spinning Rod Guide Spacing
Posted by: Etienne Reabow (---.static.123.net)
Date: June 26, 2024 09:38AM

Yes 30 guide was my idea. After reading all these responses I won't even try the size 30 guide.
For this rod using the 12lb leader I will have to use shorter leaders that don't wind onto the spinning reel spool.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 26, 2024 12:02PM

{Quote} Braid PE 1.2 to 12lb Tatsu. Reason for 12lb leader is simple...zebra mussels in the great lakes. They are like razor blades.
I use 8, 10 & 12 but for bottom dragging tubes over zebra mussel infested rocks 12lb is preferred.
I fish the great lakes Exclusively!! I live on lake St. Clair, I fish it both rivers St.Clair & Detroit, Erie, Huron, The soo, and Mich including grand traverse bay east and west . I can't say I've ever had an issue from zebra mussels cutting line. Tighten your drag a bit and Reef into them and keep their heads-Up. I think your Problem is your technique your playing with your fish to much. When I take a person out with me I see it all the time. 90% of the time and correct them. When I loose a lure, jig, or whatnot it's because of Muskie or pike, with their Razer sharp teeth. When fishing the Great lakes they are Not a fish of a thousand cast far from it. Especially on lake Saint Clair the dam things are everywhere, Behind the city of New Baltimore their is a Muskie nursery of 30"Juvenile fish we try to stay out of that area be cause of the cost of losing a lure. Zebra Mussels are the last of our Worry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2024 12:11PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Etienne Reabow (---.static.123.net)
Date: June 26, 2024 12:54PM

When ever I experience a break off it's 100% because a nick in my line caused by the mussels/sharp rocks.
I don't break fish off during the fight. They don't dig into rocks when they fight.
It's always on the initial strike "IF my line has been frayed by mussels".

Since I moved to 12lb I don't have this issue anymore. A "striked" fish is a fish in the boat. (Well almost)
Marcell's Guide (pretty sure you know who he is) put me onto the 12lb tatsu. It's all he uses........and he fishes every single day during the openwater season.
Only difference Marcell only uses casting gear so 12lb is perfectly fine.
I like my spinning rod. Especially my customs ones. I use both types but I really like this tube rod I built.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 26, 2024 05:51PM

Michael, the OP also said they used the long leader because the leader gets short from having to retie all the time due to the lure connection knot. Yes, clearly shortening the leader to keep it off the spool would solve the problem. As would switching to 10# test, which the OP said they didn't have the same problem with.

I fish 8 and 10# Tatsu as the main line on my spinning gear. And like Jay says he fishes the Great Lakes, I fish one of them. Lake Erie, as well as the zebra mussel infested inland lakes of northeast Ohio. The biggest problem with zebra mussels I have, is snagging the hook of my tube jigs on them, and pulling up rocks that are covered with them. I will say that I check my line an retie any time feel a nick or roughness in the line, so I can certainly understand why the OP would want a very long leader. It's way easier retying a bait, than it is retying a leader.

And despite how well Tatsu handles on spinning gear, I definitely agree that 12# Tatsu is not friendly on spinning gear. If I have to use 12# line, and I do, then I'm using it on a casting rod

Posted by: Etienne Reabow (---)
Date: June 26, 2024 06:19PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Michael, the OP also said they used the long
> leader because the leader gets short from having
> to retie all the time due to the lure connection
> knot. Yes, clearly shortening the leader to keep
> it off the spool would solve the problem. As would
> switching to 10# test, which the OP said they
> didn't have the same problem with.
>
> I fish 8 and 10# Tatsu as the main line on my
> spinning gear. And like Jay says he fishes the
> Great Lakes, I fish one of them. Lake Erie, as
> well as the zebra mussel infested inland lakes of
> northeast Ohio. The biggest problem with zebra
> mussels I have, is snagging the hook of my tube
> jigs on them, and pulling up rocks that are
> covered with them. I will say that I check my line
> an retie any time feel a nick or roughness in the
> line, so I can certainly understand why the OP
> would want a very long leader. It's way easier
> retying a bait, than it is retying a leader.
>
> And despite how well Tatsu handles on spinning
> gear, I definitely agree that 12# Tatsu is not
> friendly on spinning gear. If I have to use 12#
> line, and I do, then I'm using it on a casting rod

I am in the process of ordering everything for a casting setup.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 26, 2024 07:15PM

12 lb. mono on a 4000 or similar capacity reel on spinning rods has been a mainstay across the country for many species in the time I have been angling, 60+ years ago till now. A 25 mm "Y" frame Fuji Alconite or 30 mm "V" frame was the norm for a first guide on ceramic ringed guides.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 26, 2024 09:56PM

I am in the process of ordering everything for a casting setup. With fluorocarbon line I think you'll be much happier, Also I like my KVD reel with the {flipping" switch} - Button to help follow the bottom contours of the river as well. Their still out their if you look real hard, Even if used and if the bearings are bad buy new ones from Bocca bearings to rebuild them. Here's the Lew's that may even be better, Read the review [www.fishusa.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2024 10:04PM by Jay Dubay.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster