I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new foot pedal help please
Posted by: Tomos Edwards (---.as13285.net)
Date: June 07, 2024 04:39AM

Well my foot pedal for the G2 power wrapper has finally decided to stop working properly for me. Although I am having it replaced under warranty, it might take a while and I need to get back to working ASAP.

Are there any foot pedals that are readily available on places like Amazon that are worth getting?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new foot pedal help please
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 07, 2024 10:30AM

Tomos,
For an ac motor driven power wrapper, a very good long lived foot pedal is the Foredom foot pedal.
This pedal is used every day by wood carvers every day as well as for many power wrappers.

[www.amazon.com]

I do not know the connector setup on your wrapper, but in the case of the foredodm pedal there is a male plug that plugs into the wall. There is a female plug that the ac cord from the motor plugs into.

You may need to put an adapter on your wrapper motor setup to match the simple straight forward AC plug on the pedal.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Tomos Edwards (---.as13285.net)
Date: June 12, 2024 09:02AM

Thanks Roger,

I ended up getting a foredom as recommended but im having some major issues. ( probably me being stupid)

Ive cut off the old pedal and added a new kettle lead connection to fit the corresponding fitting on the foot pedal. However as soon as I switch the power wrapper on it causes the motor to turn un controllably fast. To the point it was scary.

Is there something I may have missed?

Thanks,

Tom

Date: June 17, 2024 11:59AM

Tomos,
I suspect that your problem is the wiring that is in the G2 wrapper - and is between the plug that you added to the system.

For the Foredom pedal as is the case for virtually all of the after market pedals, you have an ac cord with a plug n the end that plugs into the wall socket. Then, the pedal is in one line of the ac line as it comes from the ac line and goes to a potential ac / dc motor that is being controlled.

So, you need to check out the wiring in the G2 wrapper and follow all of the leads to see what wires go to where.

But at the end of the day, you should have a 2 wire ac line that is connected by itself to the motor that is powering the wrapper. That line should come straight from the motor out to the pedal AC load plug as is the case with the Foredom pedal when it ships.

If you do this, the wrapper motor will be under full control of the pedal.

If there are other elements in between the ac inlet and the motor plug, all bets are off.

--------------------------
However, having said that in some cases, wrappers use a secondary speed control that is in between the pedal and the motor. If so, then that system needs to be connected into one side of the ac line. If that system connects to both sides of the Ac motor line, the Ac motor will turn on full speed and you will not have control of the system with the pedal.

----------------------------
If you wanted to trace out all of the wiring in your wrapper and make a schematic and post it, I could evaluate it for your issue.

Best wishes.

Date: June 17, 2024 12:02PM

Tomas, just to test your pedal, you could take your pedal to an incandascent lamp and plug the lamp into the female plug that somes from the peda. Turn on the lamp and have the pedal plugged in. Step n the pedal and you should find that with an incandascent light that the light should start out dark, and gradually brighten as the pedal is depressed and dim and go off as the pedal is lifted. So, just an easy way to verify the operation of the pedal.

Then, if your motor is connected the same way you will have equally good results.

Take care

Date: June 22, 2024 12:46AM

Thomas,
Do you have the pedal working correctly?

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster