I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS Revo or NFC Gama Beta for musky?
Posted by: Marty Witt (216.180.201.---)
Date: June 06, 2024 10:29PM

Planning to build a 10wt or 11wt fly rod for Musky. On the fence between the CTS Revo or the NFC Gama Beta blank.

Could also use some input for guide choice.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS Revo or NFC Gama Beta for musky?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: June 07, 2024 08:40AM

Marty,
IMO - neither.
For the "Fish-of-1000 casts" the REVO Salt will tire you out very fast. Yes - it has above average fish fighting ability - but there are other CTS products that will be more pleasant to cast.

Let's start with what fly line you will be using - Brand, line weight, model? I assume that you are talking about casting "half chickens"??

For guides - I like to keep things as light as possible - so always use the REC Recoil single foot or snakes.
Herb
CTS -US Rep

Posted by: Marty Witt (216.180.201.---)
Date: June 07, 2024 09:32AM

All good questions Herb. And not sure I have the answers. This will be my first dive into fly fishing for Musky. I picked up “Muskies on The Fly” at the library and am now ready to go down the rabbit hole. I tied into one last summer on an 8wt with a single feather flatwing I tied for bass but didn’t have the right stuff to land the big cabbage dragon. I’m assuming I’d match the line weight to the rod and would use a sinking tip. Aside from that - I’m learning.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 07, 2024 03:59PM

I agree with Herb, a Revo Salt is way to stiff for that type of fishing. That blank is made for sight casting to big fish, so the amount of casts are at a minimum. Also if high winds are encountered.

Most of the folks that I know that fish musky use a 10 or 11wt, with the 10 being most popular, with a Rio Pike Musky Line, floating. The rods are usually a bit softer, and some like me use Fiberglass. The Affinity MX in a 9ft 10wt would work well, the softer mid section would be easier on arm and make for a smoother water load to lift the streamer out.

I've used both a CTS Quartz 8-6 10wt with a Rio Outbound floating line and an Affinity X 9ft 10wt with a Rio Bass line on it. I like the Quartz better, its a bit heavier in hand, but the deeper flex of the glass is easier on the arm, bit of a trade off. The Affinity X is a bit stiff in my opinion for this type of fishing, but it works and I don't need a gang of 10wts laying around.

In my area, we only target the musky when they will be in shallow water, so floating lines work just fine for us.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: June 07, 2024 06:12PM

Marty
Bill knows his s..t re glass.
Personally I like graphite.
I also like the RIO OB #10 floater. Also the Wulff Bermuda Triangle Shorts in 10 and 11 weight.
Besides the #10 Afinity-MX - I like the Affinity-M in a 10wt. I'l using mine now in FL on the beach - soon to be in RI for Stripers.
Whenever I've fished for Musky - it was using a floating line. They like to hide in weeds, under docks and moored boats.
I also designed a blank using CTS' custom design program - all design fees were paid by me - so free of design fees.
If you wish - you may contact me for more details hladen@hotmail.com
Regards,
Herb
CTS Rep

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster