I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC Euro blanks
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.biz6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 05, 2024 04:34PM

I’ve just received two NFC LMX FAF 1003-4 blanks. I’d like grip and guide recommendations for this rod. Is the build done any differently than a traditional fly rod.? I’d like to do the build justice and have a unique, correctly built euro rod. Comments and suggestions welcome!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC Euro blanks
Posted by: David Olsen (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2024 10:35PM

For euro rods I prefer a little longer grip, say 8”. Also many prefer to run their reel seat down locking to help position the weight further down the rod. This helps with balance in keeping the tip up. I also like a fighting butt on all euro nymph rods of about 1.25 to 1.5”.

I’d tape up the reel seat in both orientations on the rod and see if you can feel the difference.

Posted by: Ben Lori (---.103.147.96.tpia.cipherkey.com)
Date: June 06, 2024 12:50PM

I just got the blanks yesterday an I bought all of the FANY (euronymph) blanks to test.

Basically the grip is a half-well with a quite narrow part in the front.

If you are going with the down locking option, the challenge always seems to be about finding the reel seat, grip and fighting butt combination. You could just opt for one of these and call it a day... [www.flyrodcrafters.com]
I frankly spent more time trying to find the combination I wanted.

For guides, opt for the RSFX. Take your time with a Dremel to get these guides ready for wrapping.

You need to adjust the amount of guides and since there are no tables from NFC's website you'll have to pick your own.
I am thinking the following could do the job. I don't have a recommendation on positioning yet.

Tiptop REC_RSFX#2 RSFX#2 RSFX#2 RSFX#2 RSFX#3 RSFX#3 RSFX#4 RSFX#4 RSFX#5 RSFX#5 RSFX#6 Fuji single foot in size 10 (Maybe Fuji LS or LNS if you prefer double foot.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2024 01:02PM by Ben Lori.

Posted by: David Olsen (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2024 03:45PM

I just picked up an 1103 that I’ll be turning into a trout spey rod. Really looking forward to it. Probably go with a 10” grip, and 4” butt handle. Which is why I’m thinking of extending the blank 4”.

Posted by: Ed Rose (---)
Date: June 14, 2024 07:57AM

Ben Lori Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just got the blanks yesterday an I bought all of
> the FANY (euronymph) blanks to test.
>
>

Hi Ben - Did you get only the 11' rods or did you get any of the 10' rods?

If you did get the 10' how is the dampening/recovery compared to the 11' 2wt?

Thanks

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 14, 2024 08:10PM

I have found this to be a good guide spacing tool: [www.hexrod.net]

For ESN rods, the issue for the rod maker is: do you want to place the stripper guide the standard 32" from the butt and locate it near the bottom of the second section of the rod (if 4 piece); or do you want to place it on the butt section closer to the grip in order to eliminate what some call "line sag?"

I don't think there is a right or a wrong, just a preference, and OEMs go either route depending on the company, with more lately going to a stripper on the butt section.

Sage on their earlier edition 10' 3 wt went this way: [www.flyshack.com]

That's about as far from the butt end as I have seen on an ESN rod.

Proof Fly Fishing suggests this for a 10 ft. 3 wt: [www.proofflyfishing.com]

And this for an 11 ft. 3/4 this: [www.proofflyfishing.com]

Scroll down on both to see the placement recommendations.

The 10-foot rod has 11 guides, the 11-foot rod has 12 guides. Some rod makers prefer more guides on ESN rods and I have seen up to 15. That seems excessive to me. If you want a more traditional guide spacing format, I'd copy that from Sage. If you want a stripper on the butt section go with what Proof suggests. I think Proof uses the formula from the Hexrod site posted above.

I have an older 10" 3wt blank that I will soon be making for use as: 1) ESN rod; and 2) single-handed trout spey. I have all the components and am just mulling where i want the stripper to be placed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster