I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank rec for my wife ?
Posted by: Jeremy Moore (---)
Date: June 04, 2024 07:35PM

You guys sick of me yet?

My wife uses a brush hog 95% of the time when bass fishing. My FIL bass fishes numerous times a week and he knows I bought everything to make rods. He said to pick out blanks and he’d order them. He’s buying, help me choose the best the blank to order my wife. Please.
1) Wife Spincast Reel (application for brush hogs, similar things)

I have much to learn about blanks and especially what everything means on the Common Cents Info data. That has me lost

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank rec for my wife ?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 05, 2024 02:06AM

How long a rod can she handle comfortably? Best storage/transport length?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2024 02:09AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 05, 2024 07:00AM

6 1/2 foot med power med/fast or fast action. Some entry level graphite blank. No need to break the bank on your first rods which most likely won't be your best.

The CCS site is basically useless, has been for a while. Send me an email if you would like me to send you some files so you can familiarize yourself with it.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: June 05, 2024 08:05AM

Jeremy,
You might consider a 2 piece blank. You could put a butt guide on top, place a bumper guide at about 90 degrees, and run the rest of the guides at 180 degrees. This would give your wife the option of simple spiral or conventional depending on if you put the 2 sections together with the tip guide up (ignoring the bumper guide when string the guides) or down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2024 08:20AM by Gary Weber.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 05, 2024 04:52PM

NFC MB 665IM. Or for a little bit lighter in power an MB 664 IM. Nice light blanks, and excellent sensitivity. If she throws a baby Brush Hog the majority of the time I'd go with the 664. If the medium or full size version, the 665.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: June 05, 2024 09:23PM

Well somebody has to be the one to say it. The spincast has got to go. Build one rod with a 2500 stradic and one with a bantam mgl.

I almost hate myself for this post but I bet if you follow it in a year your wife will love you for it (but hate you along the way).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jeremy Moore (---)
Date: June 10, 2024 02:08PM

She gets frustrated using a baitcaster. I’ve tried telling her over and over it’s simple once tuned in and it’s easy to learn. I don’t like spincast unless I’m
crappie fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster