I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank sanding
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 04, 2024 07:22AM

I received a Calstar 610 blank yesterday for a customer. I haven't built on a Calstar since the reorganization was accomplished, but I've built three rods on this blank in the past and they've all been wonderful. Talking with the supplier, he seemed confident that everything would be pretty much the same spec. wise. I already had the guides in stock and received the Fuji DPSH 26 that I've used in the past yesterday as well. When I dropped the seat down on the blank, the butt section is larger and the reel seat isn't going to be as far down the blank as it was in the past. This is a pretty beefy stick; what are the thoughts about sanding down the blank enough to accommodate mounting the reel seat where I have in the past? It would need to go about 3" - 4" lower on the blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank sanding
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2024 08:34AM

I would hold the line at sanding the blanks and simply scrape the paint/finish from that area and see if that doesn't get you the distance you need. You might also consider reaming/sanding the interior of the reel seat to get a bit more. There shouldn't be much taper in the blank in that area so it might not take much to get the seat where you want it to go.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 04, 2024 08:39AM

What is the wall thickness of the area in question and how much is to be removed?

In this case luck is with you, removing material under the reel seat is a good place to remove material and maintain the integrity of the blank.. BUT that depends on how much material is removed.

Have fun

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: June 04, 2024 11:26AM

I'm with Tom on this:
Also depends on fishery and loading that will be on rod.
1. 3-4 inches is a lot.
2. There will not be room for a bushing.
3. The seat will be epoxied directly to the blank - creating a "hard spot" right at the fulcrum. Might break with pressure of large fish - IF that is the kind of load expected.
Herb

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 04, 2024 03:50PM

I'd ream the seat like Tom said. If you don't have a reamer large enough, then a piece of 3/8" dowel with a slit cut in the end. Slide a 1" wide piece of 100 or 120 grit sandpaper, 4 - 5 inches long into the slit cut in the end of the dowel. Put the other end in a drill, and go to town. If the 4 - 5 inch piece isn't pushing out enough pressure, then increase the length.

I've used the method to increase the ID of carbon tubes, reel seats, and aluminum winding checks. It can be slow, depending. But it works.

Date: June 04, 2024 08:35PM

Here's the deal. I made a 610B, spiral wrapped, last year for a friend of the customer on a blank I had in stock. They go to Alaska every August and fish for halibut and other things. He borrowed the rod and just thought it was the best thing he'd ever seen and fished with, and asked his friend to have me make up one "just like it". I managed to locate a 610B in California and had it shipped in to me. I actually think the blank I just received is better than the older model I had, but it's got a larger butt. The build is predicated on a 10" Hypalon rear grip. If I use a 12" there's no problem. I don't think the 12" rear grip is overly long; my forearm is an average length and it seems just fine for me unless the guy is a gorilla. I'm going to bounce this off him and if he's good with it I'll have one less headache. I can give reaming the reel seat a try: It's a Fuji DPSH 26 and I'd have to remove almost a millimeter to get it down for a 10" grip and that would reduce the wall thickness on the bottom of the reel seat to just over a millimeter which is pretty thin, but since it's glued in place with Rod Bond it may be okay. The blank is pretty robust; the wall thickness at the bottom of the blank is 5mm and the blank isn't finished for the first 17".

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2024 09:19PM

Most Fuji seats have a ribbed interior. Sand those out and you'll get at least 1mm right there. Skin the paint from the blank in the area where you want the foregrip and seat. That might get you another .5mm, maybe.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: June 05, 2024 12:57PM

Before deciding which route to take with this, measure the outside diameter of the blank where you want the seat to be, and the point on the blank where the seat currently stops to get the seat's inside diameter.

This will answer how much material needs to be removed to get this seat to fit, if that's reasonable, and from what area the material should be removed if it is.

An inexpensive digital caliper pays for itself many times over for rod building.

Good luck!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: June 05, 2024 04:45PM

Measure things. Your reel seat I.D. should be 24 mm. Confirm as maybe something isn't right with the seat. Then measure the blank and see how much you need to gain. I'd ream the seat.

FWIW I have reamed some Fuji reel seats a LOT simply because I wanted a trigger type casting seat on a composite salt water blank.

Have to say a 10" rear grip on a Halibut rod does strike me as rather short.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 05, 2024 11:36PM

Wouldn't just be better to get a larger seat?

Date: June 06, 2024 10:06AM

I contacted the customer and he's fine with a 12" rear grip, so I can put all my anxiety to rest. I did check every reel seat manufacturer that I'm aware of and nobody has anything bigger than a 26. I do use a micrometer extensively; have for decades. With the 2" butt cap and a 12" piece of HD Hypalon, the reel seat has about 3/4" of free play, which is perfect. As usual, I can't thank all of you enough for your insights and advice, That's what makes this such a great forum.

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 06, 2024 04:12PM

Have you tried Versitex for that seat? They had a Pac Bay last I needed one.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 06, 2024 04:55PM

I would never sand a blank to get clearance. Period. Ream the seat, yes, get a bigger seat, yes, but sand the blank, no.

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: June 06, 2024 07:07PM

I like Dan's take on things. Use a caliper to figure out where you need to go. See if that reel seat can some opening up and leave the blank in factory condition.

The reel seat can always be replaced.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster