I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC SJ703 vs Rod Geeks Carbon 5
Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---)
Date: June 03, 2024 04:11PM

Ok. So here’s the deal. I have 2 walleye rods and I have issues with them both.

The first on is a ST Croix Legend Xtreme. It is perfect in every way. The guides, although some people complain about them is bulky, I absolutely love them. The grip is even great. It’s the damn reel seat. I hate it. It is my third year with this rod, and I thought I would honestly get over it, but I have not.

My other rod is a Shimano Poison Ultima. If a fishing rod ever belonged in a museum this is it. The rod is light, has components that are just second to none. Its reel seat and handle are extremely comfortable. So what’s the issue? It’s too crisp. It’s a technical masterpiece. But it isn’t “fun”. The St. Croix is a fun rod. I can be a little rough with it (within reason) and just feels more like a fishing rod and less like a piece of advanced ancient Egyptian technology, which is how the Poison Ultima looks. For $1300 Canadian (I am American though so I used what I call “real money” to pay for it, which is just US currency).

So here is my question: Do I go with what I know I love? The St Croix Legend Xtreme (Rod Geeks Carbon 5 blank) and have a rod made for me? Or do I take a risk and go with the NFC SJ703? The target specifies is walleye. The technique is vertical jigging and casting/jigging/very spastic twitching movements (it actually works very well).

My lake trout project and bottom bouncing project is being put on hold for this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC SJ703 vs Rod Geeks Carbon 5
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: June 03, 2024 04:39PM

Dave,

I'm not sure what you refer to by "taking a risk" with the NFC SJ 703, but based on the description on paper of the blank, I purchased three of them a while back. I have only built one to date, and I think it is terrific...but in my opinion, the blank is considerably lighter than I had envisioned. I don't know if others will agree, but I don't think this is the blank for your intended application. You likely are looking for a little more backbone.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---)
Date: June 03, 2024 04:44PM

What is the St. Croix rod you like?

Posted by: Todd Jensen (---.midco.net)
Date: June 03, 2024 04:45PM

I just built the IS 693-1 for a walleye jig rod this last winter. The total build weight came in at 2.83oz. It’s not 7’ but I am thrilled with it. It is amazing for fishing 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs.

Date: June 03, 2024 05:53PM

Todd Jensen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just built the IS 693-1 for a walleye jig rod
> this last winter. The total build weight came in
> at 2.83oz. It’s not 7’ but I am thrilled with
> it. It is amazing for fishing 1/8 and 1/4 oz
> jigs.

That’s exactly what I would use it for. 1/8 and 1/4 ounce Jigs. I’m not concerned if it’s 6’10. I would even go down to 6’6.

Date: June 03, 2024 05:55PM

Dean Veltman Wrote:
> What is the St. Croix rod you like?

Legend Xtreme 6’10 m/l

Date: June 03, 2024 05:55PM

Ernie Blum Wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I'm not sure what you refer to by "taking a risk"
> with the NFC SJ 703, but based on the description
> on paper of the blank, I purchased three of them a
> while back. I have only built one to date, and I
> think it is terrific...but in my opinion, the
> blank is considerably lighter than I had
> envisioned. I don't know if others will agree,
> but I don't think this is the blank for your
> intended application. You likely are looking for
> a little more backbone.

What would you recommend?

Posted by: Todd Jensen (---.midco.net)
Date: June 03, 2024 07:00PM

What lures/techniques are you using it for?

Date: June 03, 2024 07:39PM

The medium light is just for jigging up to 3/8 at most. The medium will be used on tougher days (jigging up to 1/2oz) and megabass vision 110 jr +1, vision 110 and vision 110 +2. Walleye only.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (185.217.168.---)
Date: June 03, 2024 08:03PM

I am way behind on building my current stash of rod blanks, but I have a the SJ703 and it feels similar to a St. Croix 70mlf. Maybe not quite as fast, but hard to say without doing the measurements side by side. The St. Croix 70mlf is one of my favorite rods. I have it in SCIII and SCV.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: June 03, 2024 10:32PM

My NFC SJ703 (C6O2) was a blank I bought, built as a spinner (with a 20mm Fuji DNPS reel seat to fit my hand), and have fished extensively this year. I have cussed it. Derided it. Put it down to my friends and family....and I always miss it when I don't have it with me. (You can do a forum search on the SJ703 and the KR Concept 3+1 to read my experiences with this blank and the guide concept.)

The SJ703 (C6O2) is not what I would consider a crisp rod. It is not a blank with an extra fast and light tip that gets into a "lock up" quickly to put an instant hammer on a fish within seconds of the hookset. I have rods that I would consider more sensitive, too! (This is not to say it isn't extremely light and responsive.)

So, why do I fish this "speckled pup" of the huge litter of blanks out there?

I catch the heck out of fish with it. Big ones. Little ones. All of them. The SJ703 just nails them all without any self-consciousness or remorse for what it is NOT.

It IS a legendary fish catching rod for me.

I am a HUGE St. Croix fan! I love their tapers, sensitivity and engineering for durability and performance. I own a few Carbon 5's and have fished them from Kansas to Canada for decades. Superlative rods. Excellent blanks. Some of the very best out there!........So, you see my dilemma about the SJ703.

It must be love?

Actually, there is no dilemma. I fish and love them both.

I wish you well in your search for your very own speckled pup.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 03, 2024 11:44PM

David Riesenbeck Wrote:
> Ok. So here’s the deal. I have 2 walleye rods
> and I have issues with them both.
>
> The first on is a ST Croix Legend Xtreme. It is
> perfect in every way. The guides, although some
> people complain about them is bulky, I absolutely
> love them. The grip is even great. It’s the damn
> reel seat. I hate it. It is my third year with
> this rod, and I thought I would honestly get over
> it, but I have not.
Simple strip it down, and order several reel seat's that look good to you, Pick the one you find comfortable And rebuild the rod. Send the unused seats back for credit. The plus factor is you get to Hand hold and fondle several reel seats and when you build another rod you have a Go to seat already lined-up.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 04, 2024 04:01PM

Perhaps another blank to consider .... I just built a rod on an IS 694 X ray blank. Haven't fished it much as of yet, but I'm loving the way it feels. It's really sensitive. Nice tip and really good backbone for a blank in its' power range.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 04, 2024 09:17PM

I've got a St. Croix Tournament Legend, 7', Med. Light, and it's one of the best rods I own. It has Torzite titanium guides and you can use it for anything from perch to 4# smallmouth bass. However, like you, David, I don't like the reel seat at all. I actually get a blister on my little finger if I fish with it too long. I just got two Rod Geeks Carbon 5 blanks for a man and his son (7' med. light) and the action and taper is just outstanding. Probably one of the best med. lights I've ever seen. Test casting with them sent a casting plug a country mile. Just awesome. Fuji SiC guides, but I used an ALPS MVT Rapid Spin 17 reel seat on both rods. They feel really good in the hand. I've got four Fuji TVS reel seats in stock for customers that demand them, but they definitely aren't my favorite.

Posted by: Daisy Miller (103.175.186.---)
Date: June 05, 2024 03:15AM

Hi GUys.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (185.217.168.---)
Date: June 05, 2024 06:39AM

I am glad I am not the only one to hate the spinning reel seat on the St. Croix Legend Elites. It is what got me back into rod building over Covid. My love of the SC 70mlf and my dislike of the reel seat, which also due to its small diameter aggravated the arthritis in my thumb.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 06, 2024 10:12AM

Personal preference, but I also think that the ALPS MVT spinning seats have a more intelligent geometry and the placement of the "blank touch" windows is better.

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: June 06, 2024 02:00PM

I'm like Les, my first impression of the SJ703 was that it seemed too wimpy (don't know how they come up with the 1/4 -3/4 oz. lure rating). HOWEVER, I just keep catching fish with that rod and can't put it down. I use it mostly for Great Lakes drop shotting, or ned rigs. I have now built about 12 of them (friends seem to love it as well) and get finished weights down to 2.84 oz. Its just a fun rod, if that makes any sense. It's as sensitive as any other I use, and has no issues casting drop shots with 5/8ths oz weights with a 1/4 oz bait, so casting above the 1/4 - 3/4 rating it claims. I regularly catch 4-6 lb smallmouth with it. It just "works".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster