I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil Spinning Guide Train
Posted by: eric popejoy (---.uvs.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2024 05:46PM

I am building a rod for a friend and he wants the recoil RSPG guides.

This will be a 7', med-heavy, 3 piece travel spinning rod with a 2500 reel and 20 lb braid.

I have only built using fuji and the kr system so I am looking for the proper guide size to build with.

I looked into the heights of the different guides and I am looking at going with 30, 20, 8 then 5's.

I see recoil is coming out with a taller guide, but they are not out yet that I saw and my friend has a trip coming up that he wants the rod for.

Any suggestions for a first time recoil build? I did do a search but didn't find the answer that I was looking for.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil Spinning Guide Train
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2024 06:29PM

Let the line path dictate your reduction guide sizes.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 01, 2024 12:48AM

I have a 7 ft. three piece CTS travel rod I have used for the last 17 years I could give you the specs and grip length I used if you think it would help, I used it with a Diawa Fuego magnesium 3000 so it is in your ballpark.

Posted by: eric popejoy (---.lightspeed.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 01, 2024 09:00AM

Thanks Spencer, I have some older factory rods that I can get some specs off of and compare. I was just hoping someone had built a similar rod using the same guides and could confirm that those sizes worked good for them. Those larger sizes are expensive and I was hoping to order everything at once.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: June 03, 2024 08:36AM

Eric - Please note that Recoil guide ring sizes are different than "standard" guides. I noticed you said you will be using size 5 runners - a size 5 Recoil is like a size 4 "standard". You will need size 6 Recoils to get a runner that's closer to a size 5 "standard" - Just in case you didn't know that.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2024 08:36AM by VooDoo Rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 03, 2024 01:30PM

I used the NGC, (New Guide Concept) system so I doubt it will be like a factory rod which rarely does, and your description makes me believe you weren't using factory specs either. The standard Recoil spinning guides have to be the lowest framed guides I have ever used for their ring size.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster