I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10’ Surf Rod Blank
Posted by: Will Bedell (---)
Date: May 27, 2024 11:01PM

Hello,

I am a new rod builder in the planning stage for a few builds. I’ve built one travel spinning rod and am signed up for the Mudhole Online class in July. From lurking on here and learning from YouTube, I’ve gotten a lot of insight into building Inshore and Bass rods, but there is much less information on surf rods. Most information comes from the Northeast where they’re working lures with their surf rods.I would like to build a 10’ - 10’6” surf rod for the Texas Gulf Coast for targeting Bull Redfish, Black Drum, and small-medium sharks. I haven’t decided yet on spinning or casting for this build but I would expect it to need to cast 2-5oz spider weights plus cut bait (something like half a mullet or crab).

Any recommendations for a two-piece blank? The Rodgeeks SRF106MHMF2 seems like it would fit but I would like someone to chime in with their opinion if they’ve used it for this purpose. American Tackle has one as well but I haven’t see any reviews of it. I would like to keep the blank under $150.

Thanks, Will

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10’ Surf Rod Blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 27, 2024 11:48PM

Have you tried getting info from StripersOnline/SurfTalk? They may be in a different area, but a weight and bait rod is the same everywhere and they catch sharks there also.

Posted by: Will Bedell (131.119.0.---)
Date: May 28, 2024 12:08PM

I have read some things on their forum. As I’m not familiar with Striper fishing, I got the impression they were working lures with their rods most of the time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2024 01:49PM

You will likely want something a bit different for plugging than for casting bait. A faster action for plugs and less fast for bait.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: May 28, 2024 05:54PM

The rodgeeks blank is a great value / not the lightest out there but for the money hard to beat it. Other options are Rainshadow - either the old school RX6 or newer Revelation series. CTS is on the high end of performance - but also price. We do a lot of 10-13’ heaver surf rods out here in NC. Also options such as Carolina Cast Pro by Tommy Farmer or Century rods (though again on the premium price end )

Date: May 28, 2024 10:18PM

Which Rodgeeks blank have you used? Can the 10’6” 2-6 oz handle 6oz pretty well?

Posted by: Jacob Muras (---)
Date: June 06, 2024 01:22PM

I don't know if this a little late but I am currently building a similar rod to what you are looking for right now, Texas coast using cut bait. I just received a Stryker Rods 1108-2 blank in yesterday and did a few casts this morning and have been happy with what I'm seeing so far. I can update you once it's finished.

Date: June 06, 2024 02:12PM

Not too late. I’d be very interested in hearing about the rod you build. I ended up posting on Stripers Online and one person recommended Stryker. I probably won’t be building this one for a while anyways.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 06, 2024 03:36PM

Will Bedell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which Rodgeeks blank have you used? Can the
> 10’6” 2-6 oz handle 6oz pretty well?

I'm very very familiar with the RodGeeks /St. Croix blanks and that 10'6" MH 2-6 ounce rod is truly outstanding and one of my all time favorites . Incredibly lightweight coming in at around 6 ounces for the blank alone . Most surf rod blanks in this length and power rating come in more along the lines of 7.5 - 9 +ounces . It's an absolute steal at it's price point .

It's nearly an exact copy of the blank of St. Croix's older Ben Doerr surf rods . Very light powerful , crisp and durable . It will throw 6 ounces but not as well as a surf rod that has a 4-8 ounce rating which is to be expected . I talked to RodGeeks management and requested that they offer the Legend surf blanks but the demand wasn't there at that time . The Legend surf blanks are also some of my all time favorites especially the 10'6" MH 2-6 ounce version .

I ordered some custom CTS surf rod blanks through Herb Ladenheim , ( HNL rod blanks ) which is a great guy to deal with and he goes above and beyond to make sure you're 100% satisfied . The CTS blanks are truly superb blanks and CTS is the only manufacturer I have found that will build a blank to your exact specs . CTS built me some super high performance surf blanks that are capable of extreme performance and I felt the price paid was well worth it . For the $$$ spent you can't go wrong with the RodGeeks surf blanks if you aren't willing to pay for CTS quality .

NFC offers what is imo the most advanced surf blank on the market right now with their C602 model but it's lure ratings are something crazy like 2- 10 ounce and it's length is longer than what the majority of surf anglers prefer . Any blank that has a lure weight rating of 2-10 ounces instills fear in people because it's impossible to know what the blanks real sweet spot is . There is no possible way a blank is going to throw 2-10 ounces optimally , the sweet spot is more likely to be in the 3 - 8 ounce range which is still incredible and not the norm at all but the blank is EXPENSIVE and only on sale at introduction.

Without knowing the real sweet spot it's a very risky buy and it's rated way way higher than I typically throw which is more along the lines of 2- 3 ounce . Many have asked for more surf rod models in the C602 material but with ratings more along the lines of 2-6 , 1-3 , 3-6 , 1-4 and blank lengths in the 9, 10, 10'6" instead of 11'6" + range .

Still waiting and Alec knows .

Date: June 06, 2024 06:28PM

Thanks for the input, Chris. I was hoping you would reply as I had seen you comment on this blank previously. It’s odd to me that the blank is so light weight (6.65oz per their website) as it’s lighter than some of the lighter rated and shorter blanks. Do you have any experience with any of the rod geek blanks that are rated 3-8oz?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: June 06, 2024 06:47PM

Hey Chris,
Thanks for the shout-out.
You're going back awhile in time.
How are you doing?
Herb
CTS

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 06, 2024 09:23PM

Hi William , I do not personally have experience with the 3-8 ounce rated rods so I can't help there but if your intention is throwing 6 ounce payloads it's clearly a better choice than the 2-6 . I would take a hard look at the CTS S7 rod series , they are extremely popular with surf anglers up and down the coast especially when throwing heavier payloads long distances . Herb Ladenheim would be the guy to talk to about what CTS can offer you and he gives a nice discount for Rodbuilding.org members..

I agree about the Rod Geeks SRF106MHMF2 surf blank model , for how lightweight that blank is , it has immense power and is very versatile and it's very cheap for how well it performs . I'm a big fan of that model but I'm not a fan of all of the blanks in that series .

Herb , good to hear from you , I'm doing OK and I hope you are as well . For anyone new and not familiar with Herb, he is a true fly fishing master and has forgotten more than what most fly fisherman will know in a lifetime . A true master builder of fly rods as well .

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: June 09, 2024 12:06AM

Look at Carolina Cast Pro blanks. Designed by Tommy Farmer, a distance casting champion, who also targets big drum in North Carolina. The 11 ft 3-6 should handle your needs and provide an amazing fishing tool. A little bit more than the Rod Geeks, but much better QC in my opinion and you can call or text the owner and get quick responses. He also creates blank testing videos and overload tests his blanks....look him up on YouTube.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: June 09, 2024 12:50AM

Also, Google St Croix Mojo Surf. They use the Rod Geeks Surf Blanks. Most recommend Tsunami rods over those. If still dead set...get a Mojo and enjoy warranties.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster