I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC FW701 or FW702
Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.225.62.---)
Date: May 14, 2024 02:45PM

Looking at these two blanks for UL to L power, fast to extra fast panfish rods. Has anyone built on them - and what has your experience been? I'm looking to surpass the St. Croix Panfish series rods - they are kind of the gold standard in commercially available panfish sticks at the moment. Throwing 1/32-1/16 baits mainly - on floats or just casting and retrieving. Pitching to cover and cribs, etc. The fast to extra fast action is key. Any other suggestions from other blank manufacturers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC FW701 or FW702
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: May 14, 2024 08:22PM

I think you have some other options to consider, but as mentioned above based on what I have in hand, get the FW 702 and it isn't close.

The 702 might be a little more powerful than you want. I'd say it could fish 6# mono. 1/8 ounce will likely be the sweet casting weight but I think it will do 1/16 okay. I'd say you would have a chance with a 2# small mouth in the trees. Still it is light enough to be fun with bluegills. I'd call it perfect for crappie, a tad strong for bluegill, yet still capable of handling the occasional bass under the right conditions.

The 741-2 is quite slow and wimpy IMHO. More like something you would buy if you wanted to fish 2# mono. But if you really want to cast 1/32 it might be best for you. Personally I love the FW 702 and regret buying the FW 741. But then I live in south Florida and most of our panfish are now exotics and very powerful. Do keep in mind I have the FW 741-2 HM and the FW 702-2 SM.

FWIW Rick I also loved the St. Croix blanks we used to be able to get. Ditto on some of the Fenwicks.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 15, 2024 05:09PM

I built a FW702 as a trout rod and I’d say it’s a true light action rod. Very pleased with it, plenty sensitive with a good backbone. I’d echo what was said above, tad strong for bluegills but great small fish rod. the 701 would be more like the St Croix ultralights in my opinion.

Posted by: Charlie Safley (---.tingfiber.com)
Date: May 18, 2024 11:50PM

Looking at the NFC website, I see 2 entries for FW 702. One has (IM) and the other has (SM). What do those designations mean?

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.24.203.203.ipv4.supernova.orange.pl)
Date: May 19, 2024 03:52AM

IM - intermediate modulus
SM - standard modulus

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 19, 2024 01:12PM

worth a look as well [northforkcomposites.com]

Posted by: Charlie Safley (---.tingfiber.com)
Date: May 19, 2024 05:16PM

Charlie Safley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking at the NFC website, I see 2 entries for FW
> 702. One has (IM) and the other has (SM). What do
> those designations mean?

Thanks. Can you tell me the practical difference in rod performance/feel between the two?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster