I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LMX FAF905-4
Posted by: Todd Jensen (---.midco.net)
Date: May 01, 2024 06:51AM

Has anyone built on this blank? If so what are your thoughts? I’m considering it, but would appreciate any input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LMX FAF905-4
Posted by: Todd Jensen (---)
Date: May 03, 2024 12:23AM

Nothing?? Must not be so hot I guess.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 03, 2024 01:05PM

We can't give input till you tell us what you need, otherwise you can just read the sales brochures and absorb the sales speak they throw at you. I wouldn't recommend many western style open spaces designs for many eastern conditions for instance, there are rods out there that suck at roll casting and other closer quarters techniques.

Date: May 03, 2024 04:13PM

I guess I don’t know that much about fly rods to be that specific. I want something for dry’s and smaller streamers. Going to fish the Missouri River in Montana. I currently have a 9wt and a 10 wt I use for pike fishing but don’t have much experience chasing trout.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: May 04, 2024 02:05AM

Very good blank for the money, and now on sale for I think $83. Good all around rod. I have built the LMX FAF 905-4 and 908-4.

Unsanded blank with ridges is somewhat more difficult to wrap. Ferrule fit is superb. Fairly fast rod, and I have used for dries to size 18, nymphs and bead head buggers, mostly 4 and 5 x tippet. While fairly fast, not a board, and tip section has decent amount of bend and sensitivity.

If you want slower go with an NFC classic, or a gamma alpha, the latter costss a lot more. Batson Eternity2 costs about double and is a good fast action rod, but you have to like the cobalt color.

Fish the rod with a 1/2 above AFTMA standard line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2024 02:21AM by david taylor.

Date: May 04, 2024 06:58AM

Thank you David!!

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 04, 2024 09:24PM

I have built several, in the 5wt asw well as a 4 and multiple 6's. These went to a guide friend and he loves them!

Date: May 04, 2024 10:35PM

What does “fish the rod with a 1/2 above AFTMA standard” mean? A 6 weight line on a 5 weight rod?

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 05, 2024 09:12AM

Yes, fishing a 1/2 above AFTMA standard means to use a half powered heavier line. Many companies specify if the line runs true to rating, half size, or full size heavier.

I.E. SA Infinity Plus taper is a full size heavier; SA Amplitude Infinity is true to size, SA Mastery Infinity taper is a half size heavier.

Overlining the rod will make a fast rod a tad slower which, depending on your use, will help load the rod fir better casting especially with delicate flies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2024 09:17AM by Evan Cobb.

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: May 05, 2024 09:31AM

Evan Cobb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>"I.E. SA Infinity Plus taper is a full size
heavier..."

Perhaps there is more to that statement than I am aware of. I can buy the 1/2 size heavier concept, as a particular rod may in fact be better suited for a somewhere in between line weight between one line designation and the next. But when a manufacturer states that a particular series of line is a full size heavier than its designation, does that not simply make it the next size larger? Why play silly games like that?

Date: May 05, 2024 09:57AM

Thank you for the explanation! I’m very interested in learning more about fly angling.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: May 05, 2024 12:06PM

Yes, when a line weighs a full size above AFMA standards for its 30-foot head weight, it should be labeled a line wt higher. It's a bit of a game they play, and while there exist AFMA standards, in some ways there are no standards in line weight or fly rod line ratings.

When you buy a line go to the manufactures web site and look at the line taper and head weight in grains. Some put it on the box.

A 5 wt rod is theoretically made for a 5 wt line which at standard weight has a 140 grain head. I would say a faster rod such as the LMX FAF 905-4 can be fished with a 140 - 155 grain head. The majority of lines these days are made about 1/2 line weight over standard, but you can buy plenty of good 5 wt lines that weight 140 grains in their frist 30 feet.

Posted by: Marco Cecala (98.163.61.---)
Date: May 08, 2024 11:31AM

This is the most popular blank type I build on. Fast action that needs to be cast with authority. People love them. I tell them FAF stands for Fast as........Freddie? They can be a bit of a pain to wrap, there are noticeable grooves that trap thread and try to pull or push the blank in a power wrapper like a threaded bolt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster