I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

trying to slow down rod lathe
Posted by: Roger-Huffman (---.biz6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 29, 2024 05:35PM

I've found it very difficult to use the slower end of my Pac-bay rod smith RW-3XL. I swapped the pully on the dryer mtr to the wrapping mtr and that helped slow it down a little but I couldn't find a larger dia. pully with the right shaft size.The foot pedal was touchy and I couldn't control it well enough to use it slowly even with the rheostat turned all the way down. After some research on this board I bought a Foredom foot pedal and wired it up but still don't have a useable low speed. Looking at the lathe manual it talks about installing the 4000rpm mtr. Mine is a 6000. I did a google search and couldn't find any sewing machine mtrs 4000rpm or less. I don't know if I need a slower mtr. or if the answer lies in the rheostat. I don't build rods professionally so high lathe speed means very little to me and actually gets in the way. A few hundred rpm would probably be plenty for me. I'd appreciate some advice on how to slow this thing down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trying to slow down rod lathe
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 29, 2024 06:44PM

Flex Coat 36 V DC variable speed and direction kit to the left.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 03, 2024 09:01AM

Simply put, if you only use a wrapper for wrapping and or drying, there is never a need to have a 6000 rpm motor.

Rather a 100-300 rpm motor works just fine with a top speed of 100 rpm on the rod fills the bill very nicely.

Move over to a gear drive DC motor with a top speed of 150 - 300 rpm motor and you will be able to wrap nicely at 1 rpm if you wish.

Take care

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 03, 2024 11:14AM

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 03, 2024 04:50PM

I have the same wrapper, and I had problems with getting consistent low speed operation as well. Eventually, and actually pretty quickly, considering the small number of rods I had built, the speed control went out on my wrapper. I attributed it burning out so quickly to trying to get it to work at slow speeds. Be that as it may, I replaced the rheostat, and it made a world of difference.

I replaced it with a part meant for the Pac Bay wrapper, and if I remember correctly, I got it from @#$%&. I actually picked up two of them so I could have one as insurance. I just checked and @#$%& is out of stock on them. You could maybe give them a call and see if they expect to get any in. And if so, when they might expect them.

You might also try giving Utmost Enterprises a call and speak to Carol. From what I understand, Utmost is just down the street from Pac Bay. Carol is awesome and she may be able to give them a call to see if they have any in stock. Or Utmost may have them in stock.

Definitely worth a try. Especially the talking to Carol at Utmost thing. If she can help, she certainly will. Like I said, she's awesome.

Posted by: brian rossi (---)
Date: May 07, 2024 10:39AM

I use a plug in speed controller. Works great and you can toggle it on and off. Plug your lathe into the controller and plug the controller into the wall.

[www.harborfreight.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 07, 2024 03:19PM

Roger H.
Here is a picture of my power wrapper control seup and head stock:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is an example of a universal control box, motor, and foot pedal for use as a power wrapper power unit to use for wrapping, finish application and or rod drying at the flip of a switch or a touch on a foot pedal.

[www.amazon.com]

Summary,
If you wish to have great speed control with easily implemented reverse function, look to a dc gear motor with power supply and speed controller as shown in the attached link.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Roger-Huffman (---.biz6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 12, 2024 09:52AM

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. After viewing a lot of information available by using the search function and looking at mtrs,gears,pullys,rectifiers,transformers,pwr supplies, ft pedals, on/off and fwd/reverse switches etc. I finally saw the light. I'm calling flex coat in the morning! Thanks again.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2024 03:11PM

You just made a wise decision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster