I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Musky Rod Blank
Posted by: Tom Condon (---.35.104.239.nvc.net)
Date: April 22, 2024 01:08AM

Hi, I am having trouble finding the blank I want and I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am looking for a 2 piece blank to cast lures up to 7 ounces. I don't care that much about length, but it has to be a 2 piece. 7 ounces is the heaviest lure I have, I think a 2-6 ounce rating would be ok, or a 3-8 oz. I generally prefer a moderate fast action or even a moderate, but fast action would be fine. I'm new to rod building, so I don't know all the good sources yet. I searched Mudhole, and they have two that might be ok. One they are calling a carp rod, but it's over $200, I really don't want to spend that much. The other they are calling a surf rod, which is about $150, which I think I could stomach. Both are 10' rods, which are a little long. I guess that does bring up a good question I've had. How much can I cut off the butt of the rod before I significantly alter rod action? If there are any other pike or musky guys, are there other blanks I should be looking at? I don't want to sound too cheap, but I really don't want to be $250+ into a single rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Musky Rod Blank
Posted by: Ken Morris (32.208.18.---)
Date: April 22, 2024 05:48AM

St. Croix blanks are always a good call.

[rodgeeks.com]

Posted by: Todd Jensen (---.midco.net)
Date: April 22, 2024 08:00AM

Check Get Bit Outdoors, NFC, or Rod Geeks.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 22, 2024 08:19AM

Rod Geeks (St. Croix) blanks have been developed in the heart of musky fishing country. The same can't be said of the other manufacturers.

Posted by: Tom Condon (---.35.104.156.nvc.net)
Date: April 22, 2024 02:31PM

That would be cool if I could get a St. Croix blank, I didn't realize they sold them. I've always been a St. Croix fan, and if they made the rod I want, I would be buying one. My main rod rod right now is a St. Croix 2 piece 7' heavy for 1/2 -1 1/2 oz lures. I love that rod. It looks like St. Croix lists a 7' heavy 2 piece rod for 2-6 ounce lures which would be the perfect blank, however, they only offer it as a casting rod. I want a spinning rod. I checked the Rod Geeks website and I don't think I see it listed under their musky series rods. They don't list if the rod is 1 or 2 piece. I sent them an email for more info.

I did a little more research and came across a website Lurepartsonline.com. The name and website look really generic, but in looking at it it might just be outdated. I found a reference that said they had bought a musky blank from them, which is how I found the website. Has anyone here bought from them before? I obviously wouldn't buy if they don't take a credit card. Anyway, they offer a blank that looks perfect for what I want, I'll link it below. incase I'm way off base. It's the 8'3" 2 piece for 2 1/2-8 oz lures. Their prices on things look comparable to Mudhole. I'd have to price everything out to see if there is any real difference. The blank they offer is way less than Mudhole, who doesn't really have a comparable rod anyway.

[www.lurepartsonline.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2024 02:33PM by Tom Condon.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 22, 2024 02:57PM

Lurepartsonline is legit. I've bought stuff for making soft plastic baits from them. As far as blanks they sell. No clue. I've always been able to find what I'm looking for, or a blank I can trim to come up with what I'm looking for, from one of the blank manufacturers on other sites.

Just looked at the link you provided. I've built on 2 Pac Bay blanks, and they were very nice blanks. I'm sure the Arctos are as well. Looking at the weights for the blanks listed on that web page, for an 8' 3" blank, they're very light. Probably build a very nice rod with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2024 03:05PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: April 23, 2024 01:50PM

Tom - you can certainly build a spinning rod on a blank that is advertised as a casting blank. The blank doesn't know the difference - and the fishing gear cops will never come after you!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 23, 2024 03:15PM

I've used Pac Bay blanks many times over the years, using the musky blanks here wouldn't be a concern to me,

Posted by: Tom Condon (64.68.163.---)
Date: April 23, 2024 06:32PM

Rick Handrick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom - you can certainly build a spinning rod on a
> blank that is advertised as a casting blank. The
> blank doesn't know the difference - and the
> fishing gear cops will never come after you!

Absolutely, I would make a rod out of the St. Croix blank they use for the casting rod. I'm still waiting for a reply from Rod Geeks. I'm also waiting on a reply from Tackle Industries with a telescopic rod, but I have my doubts that one will work as I want it to. Chances are good I will be using the Pac Bay blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster