I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoat question
Posted by: Al purvis (---)
Date: April 21, 2024 01:50PM

Is flexcoat high build supposed to get rock hard when cured? I finished two rods probably a month ago and got around to fishing them both for the first time and if I press hard enough with my fingernail I can leave a small dent in the finish. Strangely enough, this dent goes away after a few hours. Both rods were finished on separate days with new mixes of finish and I am absolutely positive equal measurements were used (I triple check and mix thoroughly, sometimes even longer than needed) 3cc each of resin and hardener (6cc total) and poured out onto foil.
The finish is not tacky at all and it does take some force to dent it. The reason I ask is that I have other rods (factory built and built by myself) that don’t do this. On the other rods I have built I did not use flexcoat so I’m unfamiliar with their epoxy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoat question
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 21, 2024 06:26PM

Perhaps the answer is in the name of the product ..... flex ..... coat. From what I understand, wrap epoxy is supposed to stay flexible. I just tried to see if I could dent a wrap done with Flex Coat high build with Ultra V, and while I didn't push extremely hard. I pushed hard enough that I would think I would have saw some evidence on the wrap. I didn't notice anything. I tried the same thing on a wrap done with Gen 4 high build, with the same results.

Just wonder what made you try and dent it like that? You said it wasn't tacky, did it feel soft to the touch?

Date: April 21, 2024 11:37PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps the answer is in the name of the product
> ..... flex ..... coat. From what I understand,
> wrap epoxy is supposed to stay flexible. I just
> tried to see if I could dent a wrap done with Flex
> Coat high build with Ultra V, and while I didn't
> push extremely hard. I pushed hard enough that I
> would think I would have saw some evidence on the
> wrap. I didn't notice anything. I tried the same
> thing on a wrap done with Gen 4 high build, with
> the same results.
>
> Just wonder what made you try and dent it like
> that? You said it wasn't tacky, did it feel soft
> to the touch?

I bought an expensive factory built rod one time that was built poorly. I’m also very detailed oriented and notice small errors and what not. It drives me crazy but pretty much a lot of the aspects of my poorly built factory rod I owned made me paranoid about every future rod I owned and so I would check any new rod for flaws and now I put the rods I build under intense scrutiny lol

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 22, 2024 06:57AM

I used Flex Coat for many years, never noticed if it could be dented or not. But it did function just fine, I don't remember ever having a problem other than one rod which would get hazy looking after being left in a boat overnight in the rain. Recoated the guide wrap and fixed it indicating I had not done it right the first time. I don't think any of the wrap "epoxies" are "rock" hard, and probably all can be "dented" if one really tries. The important thing is performance, and Flex Coat performs very well as a guide wrap, which is what it is designed for.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 22, 2024 07:51AM

Expensive factory rod, built poorly. NRX?

I've looked at more than a few of those in the tackle shops, and more than a couple have what I would consider very poor build quality. My first couple of builds were better in fit and finish, than they were. And those are $700 rods ....... Megabass has the best fit and finish of any factory rod I've ever looked at.

They build a beautiful rod.

Date: April 22, 2024 10:56AM

Just to update, I called flexcoat and they said it’s entirely normal.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 22, 2024 10:44PM

"Rock hard".......try U-40 DuraGloss....crystal clear, rock hard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster