I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The best of the NFC lineup
Posted by: Matt Lukas (67.66.139.---)
Date: April 17, 2024 06:48PM

What are the more standout/tried and true blanks in the NFC lineup? I’ve studied the catalog pretty extensively, but after reading accounts of some disparities (power of the SJ703 versus SJ732 for example), I’m curious what the crowd thinks. What are the rockstars in the lineup? Obviously, opinions vary. But I’m sure there are some that are more popular than others for good reason.
Sorry if this has been asked a million times. Searching “favorite blanks” didn’t yield the results I was looking for. I primarily fish bass in freshwater. Answers don’t need to pertain to that, but if they do, even better.
[Edited for clarity.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2024 03:18PM by Matt Lukas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The best of the NFC lineup
Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: April 17, 2024 09:32PM

What type of finesse jigs are you throwing on the sj703? I haven't built that blank but my impression was that it was a ML.

For 3/8oz finesse jigs, I like the xray sj736. I recently built a c6o2 mb725 and it's a little lighter but may be a great finesse jig blank too.

The xray SB683 is a phenomenal "power" BFS rod for hard baits in the 1/8-3/8oz range. Insanely light blank. I can throw down to 2g on it with the right reel.

Posted by: Matt Lukas (165.104.250.---)
Date: April 18, 2024 03:15PM

Patrick Coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What type of finesse jigs are you throwing on the
> sj703? I haven't built that blank but my
> impression was that it was a ML.
>
I should have been more clear. When I said finesse jigs, what I meant was anything light bottom-contact (neds, 1/8oz shakeyheads, etc). From what I can tell, the SJ703 should work well for this. I was really just curious what their most popular blanks are across their lineup, regardless of technique.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 18, 2024 05:32PM

I don't live in your area so I may be off a bit, but there was a blank that was well received when available back in the day that looks like is still available at NFC now, the numbering is off, but the power and action should still be spot on, the P 702-1 HM appears to be a reboot of the popular Loomis P 8400, very similar to the Shakari PP 7000 that we used for dropshotting and finesse baits back when Shikari and G Loomis blanks were still available. light X Fast tip, light weight build, I knew some who cut it to 81 inches when that length was popular with no problems.

Posted by: Todd Jensen (---.midco.net)
Date: April 18, 2024 06:17PM

I recently built the x-ray IS 693-1. I built it for jigging walleyes with 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs, but would work great for finesse bass as well. Total build at 2.8 oz. I’m impressed with it.

Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: April 18, 2024 11:11PM

Cheap but one of my favorites... DELTA 664MB. Great jerkbait rod, top water poppers, and way more sensitive than the money suggests.

It's a must buy for the $35ish they go for. It one I always have in the boat.

Posted by: phil sweeney (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 19, 2024 07:11AM

Rob Carey Wrote:
> Cheap but one of my favorites... DELTA 664MB.
> Great jerkbait rod, top water poppers, and way
> more sensitive than the money suggests.
>
> It's a must buy for the $35ish they go for. It one
> I always have in the boat.

I just looked at that. So can I guess that a blank, as such, can be spinning or casting? It would be my intentions to build a spinning rod from that blank.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 19, 2024 11:12AM

phil -

Not speaking for Rob or how he built his rigs.....You can build any blank as a spin or cast set up.

And I agree with Rob on the Delta line of blanks: I have (2) 706's, (1) 705, and (1) 704. They punch way above their price-point in every category, IMO! (And I also fish a couple of the C6O2 blanks....not suggesting the Deltas are in the same category, but I know what sensitive, weight, taper, and power means to me, and the Deltas are an excellent value.)

It is not a big risk of dollars to try one or two of them out, either.

Matt -

One of my favorites is the 725 X-Ray C6O2. I built it into a cast rig, and am seriously considering another for a spinner. It is proving to be the most sensitive blank I own, bar none, especially with an IP in the 650 to 700's. I am still fishing it with a variety of techniques (jig, Senko, creature, fluke, spinnerbait, frog, spook) and it does some better than others - and all of them VERY well for me. It's feeling those tiny, whisper bites with bottom contact baits that it seems to really shine. (I fish #20 braid to fluoro leader).

I own a 703 as well (also a C6O2) and can't put it down because it keeps catching fish - even though I wish it had a higher AA and a bit more IP. No complaints. For all the hubbub, as you described, I guess my expectations were too high (My imagination and Hope vs Reality - Lol!).

Like the 725, I have fished a variety of baits with the 703 and it has fished them 'successfully' - but I wouldn't say in a "one-of-a-kind" way. I really don't get throwing popping corks or topwater for slot reds with it as I have read is a suggested application. I'd try it but the redfish are scarce here in Kansas! However, I tried a Micro Finesse Ned (1/15 oz.) with it which nabbed a very nice smallie over #3. Like I said, I keep thinking, "You know, I want to put this rod down and try this other one with this T-rig Fluke, but why not try it out...." Then, bam, I start catching fish with it consistently with this technique (as well as the Senko and now Ned) and I am stuck. I hope I stay stuck, honestly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2024 11:50AM by Les Cline.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 19, 2024 04:27PM

My favorite NFC blank, at least for right now, Is an SJ 736 X ray. It does a lot of things extremely well. I can't imagine a better blank for fishing 5" weightless Senkos. It has a nice responsive tip and some good power. Sensitivity is top shelf. I also love it for dragging 3/8 - 1/2 oz football jigs for smallmouth bass. It's makes for an awesome fluke / caffeine shad rod as well. It's also great for light (up to 3/8 oz sinker weight) Texas rigged soft plastics as well. Not really a blank I would choose if I were trying to fish heavy to fairly heavy cover, but more than enough for moderately heavy cover. It really excels in open water fishing for smallmouth bass.

Another NFC blank I love is the MB 666 IM. I built it for throwing chatterbaits up to 1/2 oz. But I pretty much keep a 3/8 oz bait on it all the time. The only bait I've thrown with it is a chatterbait, but I'm sure it would make a nice lighter spinnerbait rod as well. When I see people asking for recommendations for a chatterbait blank, blanks with more power the the MB 666 are almost always suggested. And I can understand that. Especially if you're throwing baits heavier than 1/2 oz. I don't really like making long casts with any bait other than a crankbait, so the power (650 grams IP) and the 6'6" length are for me, perfect. Enough power to get a good hook set, but some bend into the mid section of the blank under the load of a fish.

I have one build that I did on the MB 725 C6O2 blank that Les mentioned above, but I haven't fished it enough to say it's a favorite. Based on the way it feels, it's going to be my favorite rod for the same kind of stuff I fish with the SJ736. My favorite because just the small amount I've fished it thus far, it is even more sensitive. I fish with fluorocarbon line, and sensitivity is other worldly.

Another blank that I think is going to be a favorite as soon as I get a chance to fish it more, is the MB 733 X ray. I'd call it a medium power blank, with a lighter tip, but not overly light. It's rated 1/8 - 3/8 and I'd say initial impressions are that it will be awesome for those kind of weights. I have the blank built as a spinning rod. I really think it's going to be a great shaky head rod once I get a chance to get out and use it here in a few weeks.

I also have a spinning rod built on an SB 724 X ray blank that I think is going to be pretty sweet as well. Light Texas rigged smaller soft plastics. Neds, not as light as Les was mentioning, and a nice little jig worm rod as well.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: April 19, 2024 04:45PM

The Xray SJ 736 and SJ 703 are well liked by many.

I like the FW 702-2. It would work well with 6# and 1/8 ounce.

If more bass guys tried the P704 I think it would have more of a following.

The SW 708-2 is more of a saltwater pier/jetty offering but it would likely make a dandy rod for bigger catfish. One of the few blanks that is easily as strong as the rating suggests (most NFC blanks aren't so buy one power heavier than you think you need).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ken Delbridge (192.55.54.---)
Date: April 19, 2024 11:19PM

I think it's hard to go wrong with almost any NFC blank as long as you build it for what you need it for, but you just never know until the blank is in your hands. Unless (hint) you utilize the CCS log. That may sound like an excuse for not recommending a blank, but there's plenty of people who love an MB665 HM for throwing TX rigs (I know one) and others who would rather use a MB667 HM or MB668 HM for TX rigs (myself included).

I find this to be one of the more frustrating but also exciting parts of rod building, is not knowing what is going to show up if you haven't bent it before. That's where the CCS log helps to reduce the guess work. Don't get me started on saltwater blanks, and thank goodness for Rodhouse on that front...

Posted by: phil sweeney (---)
Date: April 20, 2024 09:14AM

phil sweeney Wrote:
> Rob Carey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Cheap but one of my favorites... DELTA 664MB.
> > Great jerkbait rod, top water poppers, and way
> > more sensitive than the money suggests.
> >
> > It's a must buy for the $35ish they go for. It
> one
> > I always have in the boat.
>
>
> I just looked at that. So can I guess that a
> blank, as such, can be spinning or casting? It
> would be my intentions to build a spinning rod
> from that blank.

I’m thinking this blank may work for a specific goal. But would appreciate anybody’s opinions and advice. Using a 3/16 ounce hair jig with trailer: I’m having difficulty getting the distances I need. By comparison, with the same rod, I could cast a 1/16 ounce Ned rig a country mile. Obviously, the hair jig and trailer is not very aerodynamic. Still a relatively light bait I do need the ability for a good hook set. Some of the jigs have Weedguards, and some do not. Right now I’m using a 5 1/2 foot Saint Croix rod. Which does just fine for Ned rigs, swim baits, light worms, etc.
Thanks phil

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 20, 2024 12:00PM

phil -

Are you saying that, using the SAME rod, you can cast a 1/16 Ned a lot farther than a 3/16 hair jig and trailer? Or am I misunderstanding you? Are you using the same reel and line size? If so, okay. Bottom line you are asking about a recommendation for a rod that will throw 3/16 jig and trailer AND set the hook reliably.

Within the theme of the "Best of the NFC lineup:"

I have thrown lots of tube jigs with a 3/16 head, and 1/4 to 3/8 skirted jigs with trailer, with my SJ736 X-Ray casting rig (as David mentioned, this blank is an all-time classic and super sensitive/versatile). Built as a spinning rod with the K-R Concept and #15 to #20 braid, the 736 would cast a 3/16 over your neighbor's house (if located within a quarter mile - ha!), IMO. The soft tip on the 736 is great for generating lots of velocity for throwing "lighter" baits - and the power will drive a jig hook no problem.

If you wanted to stay in the excellent value Delta line, the 705 and 704 would do a great job casting a 3/16 jig and have plenty of power for hook sets through weed-guards, IME. The 705 is another of those super-versatile blanks I think everyone can find a use for in their arsenal. The 704 is maybe a bit better if you want to stick in the 3/16 range, IME.

Posted by: phil sweeney (---)
Date: April 20, 2024 05:01PM

Les Cline Wrote:
> phil -
>
> Are you saying that, using the SAME rod, you can
> cast a 1/16 Ned a lot farther than a 3/16 hair jig
> and trailer? Or am I misunderstanding you? Are you
> using the same reel and line size? If so, okay.
> Bottom line you are asking about a recommendation
> for a rod that will throw 3/16 jig and trailer AND
> set the hook reliably.
>
> Within the theme of the "Best of the NFC lineup:"
>
> I have thrown lots of tube jigs with a 3/16 head,
> and 1/4 to 3/8 skirted jigs with trailer, with my
> SJ736 X-Ray casting rig (as David mentioned, this
> blank is an all-time classic and super
> sensitive/versatile). Built as a spinning rod with
> the K-R Concept and #15 to #20 braid, the 736
> would cast a 3/16 over your neighbor's house (if
> located within a quarter mile - ha!), IMO. The
> soft tip on the 736 is great for generating lots
> of velocity for throwing "lighter" baits - and the
> power will drive a jig hook no problem.
>
> If you wanted to stay in the excellent value Delta
> line, the 705 and 704 would do a great job casting
> a 3/16 jig and have plenty of power for hook sets
> through weed-guards, IME. The 705 is another of
> those super-versatile blanks I think everyone can
> find a use for in their arsenal. The 704 is maybe
> a bit better if you want to stick in the 3/16
> range, IME.

Yes, you are understanding that statement correctly, I am talking about using the same rod and reel, where I can cast the ned rig much further. By the way, I only use mono. I appreciate your advice!

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: April 20, 2024 06:35PM

>

>
> Another blank that I think is going to be a
> favorite as soon as I get a chance to fish it
> more, is the MB 733 X ray. I'd call it a medium
> power blank, with a lighter tip, but not overly
> light. It's rated 1/8 - 3/8 and I'd say initial
> impressions are that it will be awesome for those
> kind of weights. I have the blank built as a
> spinning rod. I really think it's going to be a
> great shaky head rod once I get a chance to get
> out and use it here in a few weeks.
>
>

Let us know how that mb733 works out. I have one built as a casting rod and I haven’t been able to pin down a technique that it excels with.

Posted by: Robert Henry (---)
Date: April 21, 2024 02:48PM

I'm an inshore fisherman who dabbles in bass. I have built a few of the X-ray blanks, P700, SJ703, IS703, IS764, IS705. Multiples of each of those rods.

The two I cant put down myself are the IS705 built as a spiral casting rod and the SJ703 built as a spinning rod. Between those two that's 80% of my flats fishing and I have plenty of rods...I use the SJ703 for sight fishing light jigs/neds (1/10-3/16) when I need a long accurate cast on a spooky red. The lighter end of that is w/ a plastic trailer so it's much heavier in total weight, that and wind resistance are why you can cast a ned further than a hair jig. The IS705 is my power fishing rod that excels w/ a jighead (1/4-3/8) and plastic trailer.

I've built on a few other companies blanks and I keep coming back to the x-ray line-up.

I also believe that you are building a system, and on those two I've really nailed it, might have something to do with why I love them so much.

I haven't found one I've been unhappy with yet, but those are the standouts to me.

Posted by: Logan Summers (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2024 08:42AM

The Delta CB 705 Zentron is an incredible crankbait blank for bass fishing....Not even considering the price. But when you DO consider the price you can get them for on sale, it makes it that much better. I've built on the Delta Zentron 704, 705, 706, 7115, and 7106 and they are all outstanding, but the 705 is my personal favorite.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 23, 2024 08:56AM

Logan, I've considered one of those blanks, but NFC saying that because the blanks are hybrids, that they will most likely have a pronounced curve to them, has kept me away. Just how pronounced is the curve on the blanks you've used?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2024 10:52AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: April 23, 2024 09:46AM

I just finished a Delta CB705 that I cut down to 6'10" for small cranks (dt4, atv 1.0, etc...) and chatterbait mini max. It has very little curve. The glass/carbon junction is pretty far down the blank and there is no noticeable deviation of the blank on mine.

Conversely, I've built 2 of the Xray MB765 NEO blanks and both of those have a pronounced curve over the last ~24" of the blank where the Zentron tip comes into play. Although curve isn't really the right word, it's more of a deflection off the original axis. When you build on the straightest axis (with the deflection either pointing up or down) though, it's really not noticeable.

Posted by: Logan Summers (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2024 09:58AM

David - Some are better than others... I've had a couple that were pretty bad, but then again I've had a couple of their non-hybrid blanks that were just as bad also. I build them on the straightest axis and on all but 1 or 2 you'd be hard pressed to notice anything unless you REALLY examined it closely once the rod is finished. When you're fishing with it, you forget all about it.

I really do like NFC blanks...But as a general rule of thumb, none of em are straight. I just chalk it up as a trade off for the performance, cost, variety of options, and other positive features. Having said that, if the blank is for someone other than myself, it's a lot harder to stomach though...Tricky situation.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster