I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another KR Question
Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2024 05:00PM

I’m building a spinning rod and was comparing the KR guidelines to the KR GPS on anglers resource. The rod is 82” long, reel mounted approximately 13” from the butt, and the reel is a Pflueger President 3500.

The guidelines state to lay the first guide out based on the angle of the spool axis. This places the first guide approximately 29” from the tip of the spool axis. The distance from the first belly guide to the tip would be approximately 38.5”.

The KR GPS software output states the first guide should be 20” from the spool axis. So a 9” variation from the guidelines, which would space the first guide approximately 47.5” from the tip.

Is it more advisable to follow the guidelines or the GPS software?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2024 05:02PM by Evan Cobb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another KR Question
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 17, 2024 05:11PM

I don't know what guidelines you are using , but the KR software WHEN USING HIGH FRAME KR GUIDES, is excellent. I don't even test cast any more. 20 inches makes sense. Put the first guide where the software says to put it, the second, and the third, likewise. Don't worry about "progressive." No one will notice. Then place the running guides according to the two line static load test described on the site. The rod will work just fine.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 17, 2024 06:34PM

If the first guide you are laying out is the Belly/choker/KB guide (and not the Butt Guide), then the measurement distance might make more sense.

Just try this: Place the Butt guide (ie. KL-H20) around 20 inches from the spool axel tip at mid stroke.

Next, measure from the Butt Guide position to the tip of the rod. Take that measurement and multiply by 0.42. Write this measurement down.

Place the Belly/choker/KB at this distance from the Butt Guide, NOT the spool axel tip.

With the Butt Guide placed at 20 inches, and the Belly/choker placed at 0.42 X the rod length from the Butt Guide to the tip, you can play with aligning the other two Reduction Train Guides between the two.

This will put you in the ballpark with the Reduction Train (RT).

After that, I suggest you place a KT (of your choice of ring size) 3.5 to 4 inches from the tip guide (An LN or LG micro tip top). Then, place Another KT guide 3.5 to 4 inches from that guide. Then, progressively space KT guides back down the blank toward the reel and KB Belly/choker guide. (I sometimes put the first three to four KT guides the same 3.5 to 4 inches apart in this section.)

On a 6'8" rod, you might need 10 total guides = (3) Reduction Train: (1) KB; and (6) KT guides. This is not too many guides! You might even decide you need one more for a total of 11! No big deal! It is up to your preference.

Finally, an important step to great guide spacing is the Two-Line Static Test. Tweak the guides according to what you see: move them out or in, add or subtract. You want a balanced and even line flow that mimics the Natural Bend of the rod.

Do it! Take the time! It is worth the extra effort and you will be extra proud and confident in your build in the end!

Finally, come back here and tell us all how it went. Come back sooner if you have questions.

Les

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2024 09:48PM

Thank you both for your advice. I’ve built 5-6 KR concept rods but have only used the software and static testing. Figured I’d try to follow the guidelines to get a better understanding of the “why” it’s spaced out in that manner, when the GPS and angular method didn’t match that’s when I knew to ask here rather than assume.

I’ll proceed with the 20” and follow Les’ advice about the 42% length to see how it fairs. I’ll report back when and rod is completed

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 17, 2024 10:26PM

Sounds to me you are mixing the New Guide Concept that has been out for decades and the GPS system, they were never intended to be the same concept, the GPS has a much faster guide reduction and progression.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 18, 2024 12:47PM

Spencer is right about the differences between the New Guide Concept (NGC) and the K-R Concept (KRC).

[anglersresource.net]

The two concepts share the location of the Butt guide more or less, but after that, it is different.

The KRC places the Belly/choker closer to the reel as part of the Rapid Choke design.

If you are following the GPS suggestions, you should be fine. (The 42% will likely place the Belly/choker close to where the calculator suggests.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2024 12:50PM by Les Cline.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster