I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help in building a feeder fishing rod
Posted by: Tolo Mentes (193.243.141.---)
Date: April 17, 2024 08:28AM

Hello!

I'm planning to build a feeder fishing rod ...

Here is more info:

- I'm planning to fish for carp, barbel and other fish on rivers and small lakes
- I will use the reel size 3000 or maybe 4000 (that's max!)
- I will also use the mono line (diameter about 0,18 - 0,25)

Here is a blank I will buy: 12ft (60-120g)

Now I have questions ...

1.) What guides to choose? I'm planning to buy Fuji guides, but I have no idea which one and how many of them (the feeder rod has 3 tips).

2.) And what reel seat to choose? Is classic Fuji DPS okay for a feeder rod? Or do you have any better suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help in building a feeder fishing rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 17, 2024 10:36AM

For this type rod, no reason to spend a lot of money on guides. Perhaps simple stainless steel with no inserts except for the tip top.

Use just enough guides so that when the rod is fully loaded or bent that the line stays at a reasonable distance from the blank, say 1 -2 inches.

No reason to spend a lot of money on a reel seat. Or not necessary - if you don't wish to - to even have a reel seat on the rod. You can make a tennesse style grip that is a simple constance diameter grip of any material you wish. Then, jjust use tape to tape the reel to the rod as needed.

Or you woudl go to the other extreme and put on guides that cost $20 each - but the more expensive guide/s do not put any more fish in your hand.

If you have no idea, simply go toa store that sells this sort of rod and see what production folks use for their rod. This will also give you a good idea on a guide spacing that works for these production rods.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 17, 2024 03:43PM

Tolo -

Try this:

Fuji Guide Train:

(1) Fuji KL-H20
(1)KL-H10
(1) KL-H6L
(1) KB 5
(9-10) KT-5
(1) LG or LN tip top #5mm ring

Spacing:
20H : 20 inches from spool axel tip at mid strike.
10H : 18 inches from 20H
6L : 15.75 inches from 10H
KB5 (belly/choker) : 10.69 inches from 6L

1st guide toward reel from tip top : 3.5 to 4 inches from tip top.
2nd guide from tip top : 3.5 to 4 inches.
3rd guide from tip top ; 4 inches.
The rest of the tip guide group space progressively to the KB 5 guide.

Tweak these guide spacings around with a two-line static test to get them the way you want.

I usually buy my K-R Concept guides from Mud Hole because they have them all in one place and are usually in stock.
However, you may want to also call Voodoo Rods and Get Bit and see what they have ready to go. All good vendors!

Les

Posted by: Tolo Mentes (---.static.siol.net)
Date: April 18, 2024 03:52AM

Thank you guys - all this will help me a lot!

One more thing - if I look at the feeder rods in our local fishing shop, I can see that many of them have first two or three guides double-footed. Why? Any special reason behind this?

And about the reel seat:

I can also see that a lot of feeder rods has Fuji DPS-HPS reel seat: The front hood of this reel seat is covered with a Duplon hood which screws down onto the reel foot.
Is classic Fuji DPS also okay for a feeder rod? Or do you have any better suggestions (like Fuji DPS-HPS)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2024 04:01AM by Tolo Mentes.

Date: April 18, 2024 01:33PM

The double foot guides are used for more durability in certain conditions - like rough handling. Unless DF's are needed, they add a significant amount of weight to the blank (albeit at the butt end where it matters less). I'd personally prefer single foot all the way on a spinning rig.

Pick a handle that feels good to your hand ergonomically. Some really like the VSS seat because they like the feel and is a bit larger in diameter (it has an O.D. larger than other 16mm seats). I put a 20mm DNPS seat on a SJ 703 build and I love it. That size fits and fills my hand really well. On a 12ft. blank, the extra diameter of the seat might feel good to you.

I would like to locate a source for the HPS hood you mention - I like the options with it for cork or carbon tubes. You can make a down-locking foregrip with it that hides the threads...or an up-locking rear grip on a split grip that also hides the threads. Versatile design.

Posted by: Tolo Mentes (193.243.141.---)
Date: April 19, 2024 01:57AM

Les Cline,

thank you for all the info - so, if I understand all that correctly ...

If I use the Fuji DPS-HPS it's all about the design and how the rod will look like? There is no functional reason to use this "feeder" reel seat?

If that's the case then I don't see the problem with using classic Fuji DPS reel seats (where the threads will be visible). :)

And if you ask me where I found the HPS - here is the link: [www.guidesnblanks.com]

The problem with HPS that I see is that the HPS on the link is with duplon (foregrip) - so, how to find the same and appropriate material for the main grip under the reel seat? This is not the easiest way - or?

And one more thing - what do you think about AT Ti Forged guides for feeder rod? Are they OK?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2024 05:01AM by Tolo Mentes.

Date: April 19, 2024 11:07AM

Tolo -

Form vs Function for a Reel Seat:

All reel seats will perform the Function of a secure place to install the reel on the rod, and provide a place to hold the rod and reel with the hand. In these specific respects, I don't see much difference between reel seat types. So, the classic Fuji reel seats will work fantastic in this area.

The Form aspect of a reel seat is more detailed and nuanced - and is all about the individual preferences of the rod-builder and fisherperson. Some want the "lightest", some want the "coolest-looking", some want a seat that can be paired with trim rings to match the color of the reel or guides, or with carbon or cork hoods, or colored inserts. The Form can be almost anything. Including the O.D. of the reel seat that fits your hand ergonomically. Personally, ergonomics are a high priority.

I don't see a form or functional reason you need a particular Kind or Style of seat to build a feeder rod. Use the one YOU want for YOUR reasons!

Thank you for the link to the HPS!

The AT Ti Forged guides are excellent quality and would work well on your feeder rod. You may want to explore the New Guide Concept (NGC) for the placement of them.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

One of the reasons I like and recommend Fuji guides is because of the K-R Concept and all of the information available for 1.) Selecting the proper guides, and 2.) Where to place them on the blank for optimum performance.

The Fuji K-R Concept group of guides and the KR GPS calculator work hand-in-hand to put the right guide in the right place.

[anglersresource.net]

Posted by: Tolo Mentes (---.dynamic.telemach.net)
Date: April 26, 2024 10:42AM

Hello, Guys!

I ordered and get from the seller some components for my feeder rod and now I have two questions:

1.) The colors of the tips - there are three tips (green, yellow and red). The rod is declared as 60-120g. So, how could I know what color is which strength of the tip?

2.) On my new blank there is a small anomaly: [prnt.sc] What do you think, could this be dangerous for braking when the rod will be under the pressure?

Thank you for your help and regards!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster