I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reinforce old wooden rod butt?
Posted by: Ken Morris (32.208.18.---)
Date: April 07, 2024 02:33PM

I am rebuilding one of my dads old tuna rods (fiberglass 6 1/2’ 50 lb rating) that has a wooden (oak, I believe) butt. One fellow on FB says that I should not use the original butt due to it being too likely to break leading to the loss of the rod and reel and potential injury to the angler. I’d really like to use this rod as I caught my first tuna, and many others, on it and it’d be a nice way to keep my dad “on board” now that he’s gone. So two questions.
1. Is breakage actually likely.
2. Is it feasible to drill out the butt and epoxy in a section of old rod blank or aluminum tube to reinforce it?

Many thanks,
Ken
P.S. I don’t want to turn it into a wall hanger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reinforce old wooden rod butt?
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 07, 2024 02:48PM

What makes this FB person think it's likely to break? The fact that it's wood? Or did you mention something to him that you aren't posting here? Like it has a split in it or something?

As far as drilling it out to reinforce it with an old rod blank or the like. No doubts you could, but do you really need to? Has the grip somehow been damaged to where you wouldn't feel safe using it?

Date: April 07, 2024 03:01PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What makes this FB person think it's likely to
> break? The fact that it's wood? Or did you mention
> something to him that you aren't posting here?
> Like it has a split in it or something?
>
> As far as drilling it out to reinforce it with an
> old rod blank or the like. No doubts you could,
> but do you really need to? Has the grip somehow
> been damaged to where you wouldn't feel safe using
> it?

No splits or cracks that I can see. No damage at all that I can see, rod dates from sometime in the mid ‘80s. It’s the rod I had a massive yellowfin boatside on and then lost back in the days of the chunking fleet south of Block Island.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 07, 2024 03:36PM

I'd be surprised if it already doesn't have an aluminum lube inside the wood and reel seat, most of the old rods like that I have been around do, when brought in for repair.

Date: April 07, 2024 04:10PM

No tube inside it. I’ve had the gimbal butt and reel seat off of it. It’s just wood

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 07, 2024 10:02PM

If there are no splits or signs of rot (soft spots) I would use it.

May be a ring test would work on wood. Hang the handle from a string and tap it with a metal rod or small hammer, if it sounds solid it is fine. Or try holding one end and tapping the other end on a hard surface to see if it feels solid.

Last thought, if it lasted this long without issues I would not hesitate to use it.

Have fun.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2024 05:32AM

I think John makes a good point. Unless there is damage, if it were going to break it probably already would have.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 08, 2024 11:59AM

Ken,
Since your ask the question, you are worried about it.

If you use the rod in its current condition, you are likely going to be worried when using it.

So, remember, the rod, remember your father, and then cut the grip off the rod and install a new one in his memory.

You can do an inlay in the new grip to remember him.

Then, you can enjoy the rod with no worries and be happy every time you use it.

Best wishes.

p.s.
I have several items that I inherited from my father, after he passed. Yes, some of the items needed to be rebuilt. But, every time that I use any of those items, I smile and remember the times that we shared when using this particular object. So, of course use the rod, but update it so that you can use it in full contenment knowing that he would have approved your decision to update it.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: April 08, 2024 05:53PM

It might be oak, but a very good possibility that it is also Ash(Think baseball bat) and I have seen very few of either break subject to the force it is going to undergo.

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster