I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Insert for NFC reelseat
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: April 04, 2024 10:26AM

Looking for recommendations for a reelseat insert for an NFC carbon fiber casting reelseat. Their website states that the cutout and barrel are 15mm. I assume that is the ID and think I've found an American tackle insert. Do I have any other options?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Insert for NFC reelseat
Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: April 04, 2024 12:36PM

Lots of options out there for 15mm OD carbon tubes.

Go here: [voodoorods.com]

Matagi makes colored woven carbon tubes, black gloss and Matte and white woven carbon tubes. Also they have colored aluminum inserts (the ones for the TVS reel seat are 15mm OD).

Please note - the Matagi carbon tubes are sold BY THE INCH so in your "QTY" field you need to put the length in inches of tube you want.

Fuji also makes some you can purchase at that same link above.

Justace makes a 15mm OD cork arbor that I've considered using on an exposed reel seat but I'm unsure if the quality of the cork is nice enough for that application or if it should only be used as an unseen arbor.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 04, 2024 01:48PM

Remember the tube you use now becomes the ID of the reel seat; it will be in the neighborhood of 13 mm on the 16 mm seat. Don't forget the nut, I would get it from the same place as the tube to cut shipping costs if possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2024 02:12PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: April 04, 2024 02:21PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remember the tube you use now becomes the ID of
> the reel seat; it will be in the neighborhood of
> 13 mm on the 16 mm seat. Don't forget the nut, I
> would get it from the same place as the tube to
> cut shipping costs if possible.

Oh I'm not too worried about that. It's the P700 blank....I'll just have to mount the arbors on the blank, then turn down a bit.

Date: April 04, 2024 03:29PM

Derick Jahnke Wrote:
> Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Remember the tube you use now becomes the ID of
> > the reel seat; it will be in the neighborhood
> of
> > 13 mm on the 16 mm seat. Don't forget the nut,
> I
> > would get it from the same place as the tube to
> > cut shipping costs if possible.
>
> Oh I'm not too worried about that. It's the P700
> blank....I'll just have to mount the arbors on the
> blank, then turn down a bit.

This Poly arbor in the SHIM/WG/16 will fit the 13mm ID of most of those inserts without any turning down:
[voodoorods.com]

Date: April 04, 2024 03:31PM

Also, not sure what you're planning to do with the thread hood cover, but the FUJI size 16 ksk/ASH hood components seem to fit it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2024 08:11AM by Patrick Coco.

Posted by: Phillip Sykes (149.168.240.---)
Date: April 04, 2024 03:54PM

Derick,
I was wondering the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a Am Tackle insert, the RSI-4 that has a 15mm OD. When I test fit it in the NFC Carbon fiber seat, it had too much wiggle room for my liking. I am going to order the RSI-1 insert that has a 15.1mm OD and give that one a try. I think it will fit the seat much better but can't confirm that yet. I can say that with the 15mm insert, if it sits to where it covers the exposed section tightly with no gap, the insert is not centered in the seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2024 10:13PM by Phillip Sykes.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2024 04:43PM

I also found the 15 mm insert too loose. I ended up turning a piece of acrylic to match the ID of the reel seat. I didn't measure the final od of the turned part, but it was a snug fit when finished. Also, arbors are different sizes on the butt end and on the reel seat thread end. The internal areas of these seats are not as uniform as the graphite seats I have used.

Date: April 04, 2024 05:27PM

Looks like a SeaGuide AirK seat to me, bet they have an insert for it. Rodbuilders Warehouse to the left.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 04, 2024 09:37PM

The hidden thread cover and the woven hood cover/grip came from NFC. I would hope it fits.

Date: April 05, 2024 10:33AM

Phillip Sykes Wrote:
> Derick,
> I was wondering the same thing a couple of weeks
> ago. I ordered a Am Tackle insert, the RSI-4 that
> has a 15mm OD. When I test fit it in the NFC
> Carbon fiber seat, it had too much wiggle room for
> my liking. I am going to order the RSI-1 insert
> that has a 15.1mm OD and give that one a try. I
> think it will fit the seat much better but can't
> confirm that yet. I can say that with the 15mm
> insert, if it sits to where it covers the exposed
> section tightly with no gap, the insert is not
> centered in the seat.

How loose is too loose? And are we on the same page on the reel seat? I have the casting carbon fiber seat, not the rear grip with integrated seat.

Posted by: Phillip Sykes (---.googlefiber.net)
Date: April 06, 2024 09:18AM

Derick, We are on the same page. On the nfc carbon casting seats ($29 each now at nfc) that I have, a 15mm outside diameter American tackle insert just doesn’t work. I measured the insert and it was 14.7mm, not 15mm. I don’t know if this is normal or if I received the wrong size insert. the seat on the thread side has a 15.5mm inside diameter. I wrapped the insert with a couple of layers of tape making it 15.2mm and it fits much better. Now I just have to find an insert close to that size. If the RSI-1 is a true 15.1mm that is the closest I’ve found that may work.

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: April 06, 2024 12:23PM

This is what I found fits that reel seat best, with no gaps in the finger cut out. [mudhole.com]

The smooth tubes seems to expose gaps in the uneven cut out. I’m not sure I’m a fan of the reel seat. I found it a little crude in finish (there were some void imperfections in the threaded barrel of mine and the cut out was a little uneven). The lock nut provided is a Fuji knock off, so the diameter (OD) of the hidden foregrip barrel is a little off. Yes, it’s light, but it’s completely hollow on the inside, so there’s a fine line between putting enough epoxy in to hold the seat permanently, vs filling all the void with epoxy (making the overall finished weight of the seat no lighter, possibly even heavier). I never understood why companies design reel seats with blank cut outs, but require a graphite tube as an insert to fill in that cut out.

Date: April 06, 2024 01:55PM

Put an arbor inside the hollow threaded area, problem solved. not all reel seats of this type were built hollow in the threaded area, many had little light weight fins inside already sized to the rest of the seat and others were just a solid interior the size of the seat bore.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 06, 2024 04:28PM

The Alps MVT is as Spencer described having fins inside the thread barrel portion that are sized to the I.D. of the reel seat you order.

As far as the difficulties in fitting the reel seat to the blank being discussed here ........ there were a few of us that questioned these very things in the forum thread introducing them. No real answers on how to handle it came from that thread, so this thread will be of great help to those who may want to try it, or have already gotten one, and are looking for ideas.

Date: April 08, 2024 03:08PM

I found a 6" piece off an Xray SJ736 I trimmed, and the skinnier end fits perfect as an insert for the NFC Carbon Tech reel seat.

The OD of the middle of that piece of blank is 15.2mm.

I also added a small piece of poly arbor to the barrel of the seat.

All told, that brings the weight of the seat to 15g (the Fuji 16 ECS seat with 13mm ID that I would have otherwise used weighs 19g).

ETA: I trimmed the barrel down to where I needed it for the Justace Matte Carbon fiber hood cover I like and now it's down to 13g with the insert and arbor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2024 03:56PM by Patrick Coco.

Date: April 11, 2024 01:03PM

John Santos Wrote:
> This is what I found fits that reel seat best,
> with no gaps in the finger cut out.
> [mudhole.com]
> -seat-inserts?variant=34370874146949
>
> The smooth tubes seems to expose gaps in the
> uneven cut out. I’m not sure I’m a fan of the
> reel seat. I found it a little crude in finish
> (there were some void imperfections in the
> threaded barrel of mine and the cut out was a
> little uneven). The lock nut provided is a Fuji
> knock off, so the diameter (OD) of the hidden
> foregrip barrel is a little off. Yes, it’s
> light, but it’s completely hollow on the inside,
> so there’s a fine line between putting enough
> epoxy in to hold the seat permanently, vs filling
> all the void with epoxy (making the overall
> finished weight of the seat no lighter, possibly
> even heavier). I never understood why companies
> design reel seats with blank cut outs, but require
> a graphite tube as an insert to fill in that cut
> out.
Too be honest, I found it to be lacking fit and finish. The lock nut is almost too snug and there are a number of rough edges. I'll get a tube and glue it up and see. If all else fails I'll go with one of those micro trigger fujis....one of the nice reelseats that I've used.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster