I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inletting "hack" for cork fly rod handles
Posted by: David Polcyn (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 03, 2024 05:02PM

Not really a "hack" per se, but just a way to emulate an inletting tool set I have but isn't on the market any longer (as far as I can tell). I am building a cork fly rod handle and have a reel seat with a recessed hood OD that I don't already have a cutting tool for, and since I can't find the inletting tools on the market I had to use this simple work-around. All you need is 1) a lathe (or equivalent), 2) a forstner bit (sized to the hood OD), and 3) a length of turning mandrel to use as a "pilot". For the "pilot", I just cut off about 8" of a turning mandrel I already had which was slightly bent, hence useless for turning (obviously, you will be using the unbent end). So this "pilot" will have one end that is flat (the end you cut), and one end that is tapered on the inside. I haven't been able to post pictures here or I would post photos to show the process (I follow the instructions but...), so let me try to explain in words alone. First you put your forstner bit into the lathe and secure it. Then you insert the mandrel into your cork handle, with the tapered end of the mandrel (i.e. opposite of the cut end) sticking out of the butt-end of the cork handle about a half of an inch. Turn on the lathe and carefully align the tapered end of the mandrel with the point on the forstner bit. Then, holding the cork handle perfectly horizontal, gently push on the handle so that it SLOWLY slides over the forstner bit until you have achieved the necessary depth. I always eyeball it, but a piece of tape or marked line on the forstner bit can be a helpful way to assure proper depth. As always, use eye protection and be VERY careful when getting your hands this close to the cutting bit. One thing I always do beforehand (whether with my hack or with the commercial tool) is to make sure that the handle slides very easily on the pilot... the last thing you need is to have the cork grip stick and move in a jerky fashion as you are pushing it toward the forstner bit. If you don't have a lathe, you could always secure a drill motor into a vice and make it work... but then again, if you don't have a lathe you probably don't have an extra turning mandrel laying around. They cost less than $15 at Mud Hole and elsewhere. Hope that helps those of you who are fairly new to turning cork handles and haven't found an inletting tool you like. For this "hack", all you need are a few sizes of forstner bits (available online or at all hardware stores) and a turning mandrel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inletting "hack" for cork fly rod handles
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: April 03, 2024 05:27PM

Check the RodMaker issue before last for a very easy way to inlet for a seat hood. Doesn't require a lathe and only a spade bit sharpened in reverse.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 03, 2024 06:33PM

And then there is the "old School" method of assembling the seat on a "rod" of some kind, about 2 ft long.
Can be a scrap blank, wood dowel, anything that is fairly stiff and will let the cork slide down snugly to the reel seat.
Make sure they are both fairly centered.
Then, make a light pencil mark ( sharpened White wax marker is best) around the hood.
Then, "carefully" work down with a Dremel style tool, one that has variable speed is best.
With a careful and a light touch, the recess can be made.
Hope this helps with another alternative to special tools.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: David Polcyn (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 04, 2024 08:57PM

Thanks Mike. I will check that out. I subscribed a few years ago and just didn't see much related to fly rods, which is all I build, so I didn't renew.

And thanks Ron. I love my Dremel tool, but you have a steadier hand than I do! Or maybe just more patience. But since most people don't want to invest in a lathe just to build one or two handles, it's always nice to see alternatives. However, for anyone who is serious about building more than a few (I only build for friends and family, but I've built well over a hundred fly rods by now), I really encourage buying an entry-level lathe. I use a WEN and am very happy with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2024 09:03PM by David Polcyn.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2024 04:26PM

It's funny... others say the magazine is all about fly rods. I guess that means I'm keeping a good mix.

Posted by: Rick Boley (---.rk.wavecable.com)
Date: April 07, 2024 12:02PM

I have been using my drill press like the video on the Flex Coat website.
[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster