I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to dull gold finished guides
Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: March 30, 2024 10:49AM

Is there any way to dull the finish on bright gold guides? I would like to get a more suble or "antique" look on snake guides that are apparently only available in bright gold,

Dale Thompson
Small-time fly rod builder

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to dull gold finished guides
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: March 30, 2024 01:49PM

Steel wool: 0000 = finest would probably dull the finish.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2024 07:37AM

It sounds as if you may be looking for a tarnished look? I wonder if some kind of etching cream or liquid would work?

I just did a quick Google search for "getting a tarnished look on new metal" Soaking in vinegar seemed to be the most common response, Followed by bleach, and saltwater. Undoubted ably a slower process than some kind of abrasive, but may be more of what you're looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2024 07:45AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2024 09:25AM

Be careful - the top coating was designed to provide a hard wear surface for your line. Anything you do to dull it could result in a guide that is hard on your line and/or that doesn't last as long as it might have otherwise.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 31, 2024 09:34AM

There are bronze colored fly guides around, but the matching stripper could be an extended search.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 02, 2024 09:22AM

We still have some of the Pac Bay "English Bronze" (Ti Bronze) fly guides.
I show a very limited stock of both 1 foot fly and snake guides.
Also, stripping guides, large 2 ft hook-keepers,
and 1 ft and 2ft of the special "drop-shot" style, and tip tops.
Give me a "holler", either phone or email.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2024 04:51PM by Ron Schneider.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 02, 2024 08:39PM

I'd scrap the idea of dulling them and go with different guides. Dulling them may be setting you up for further problems down the line.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 03, 2024 01:31AM

If you're interested the then owner of Pac Bay assured me the Ti Bronze guides would hold up very well and so far, they have over the last 12 years or more on the Super Seeker salmon rod blank I put them on.

Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: April 09, 2024 11:44AM

Thanks all. I chose an ash color from Proof. It actually looks good. I've used this combination on several rods now. If anyone hears of "not bright" gold guides, let me know

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster