I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy on Daiwa Presso factory rod?
Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: March 30, 2024 10:12AM

I recently purchased a four piece ultralight, travel rod (Daiwa Presso) online. When I received the rod, I noticed that the blank, though finished, has a very rough texture to it. I’m not all that keen on that type of texture, so I was thinking of applying a thin coat of epoxy to the whole rod to maybe smooth out the bumps. Good idea? Bad idea? I realize that by doing this, I will add weight and reduce some of its sensitivity but I’d like to know if it can be done without any other adverse effects. What thinketh ye?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy on Daiwa Presso factory rod?
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2024 11:18AM

Bad idea. The blank is most probably an unsanded blank with resin ridges giving it that rough feel. I wouldn’t do anything and leave it as is. If it really bothers you, you could wet sand it with a wet/dry 600 to 1500 grit sand paper. Mask off the guides, wet the paper, and begin sanding. Doesn’t take long to smooth the ridges. Sand just enough to smooth the resin ridges. If the water begins to turn from milky white to gray stop. It’s like buffing the ridges out. When finished clean up with water. Because it’s a messy process, I would do it out side. Although I’ve sanded a number of blanks with resin ridges, I’ve never sanded one that was already wrapped. If you are careful, it shouldn’t be a problem. In my opinion, a much better option an coating the entire blank with epoxy, but still not better than leaving the rod as is.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 30, 2024 01:14PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be coating the whole thing in epoxy. Not only will it add weight, with it being an ultra light powered rod, it will more than likely severely affect the characteristics of the rod itself. Like Norman said, either leave it alone, or mask off the guides n such, and sand the blank to remove the resin ridges.

Like Norman said, it's not difficult to do. I've sanded smooth several original finish NFC X ray blanks, and it took maybe 30 - 45 minutes per blank. Those were 1 piece blanks. The fact that yours is a 4 pc rod, would definitely make it easier.

Just a thought here though. I've never even seen the rod you're referencing, let alone touched one, so the ridges may be more severe than the current ridged finish on the original finish NFC X ray, and C6O2 X ray blanks. You may find that you can get used to it, or maybe even start liking it. I know I hated the texture of the original finish of the first X ray blanks I purchased. IMO they were more severely ridged than the ridged finish on them now. I kind of like the finish on them now as it feels pretty unique.

I'll be starting to wrap guides on my first C6O2 blank either today, or tomorrow. Depending on how that goes, is going to determine if I end up sanding the blank, But it still feels kind of cool.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2024 03:11PM

Epoxy would be the wrong thing to coat the blank with. Too heavy, subject to yellowing and eventual cracking and peeling.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 03, 2024 10:33AM

Dennis,
If you want to clean it up, strip the rod - including all of the guides.

Then, use wet and dry sand paper to remove all of the finish as wll as all of the ridges. Start with coarser sand paper and work up to a finer and finer grit paper.

End up with 1200 grit paper used wet and you will have a light polished plank to rewrap.

Reset the guides, wrap and coat each guide and go fishing.

A graphite or fiberglass blank has no need for a finish.

You will end up with a nice light rod with a dead smooth finish that is a joy to use for fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster