I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting Blanks
Posted by: Mike Odddy (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2024 07:59PM

What is the best way to cut an NFC X-Ray blank to fit an XO handle?
I need to remove roughly 2" from the butt end to get the blank to fit.
Will a Dremel with an abrasive Cut-off wheel work or are there other options I should consider?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting Blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 19, 2024 08:20PM

It will work, BUT you don't want to breath any of the end results, mask up with a very good mask and eye protection.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:28PM

Spencer,

Thank you for the advice and the safety tips. I will give it a try.

Posted by: Ken Delbridge (192.55.54.---)
Date: March 19, 2024 08:54PM

I can't comment on the XO handle, but when dremel cutting a blank I use my shop vac tube in close proximity to the cut to reduce dispersing the dust.

I also put 2-3 layers of masking tape centered over the cut line to help further reduce debris/dust/fracturing when making the cut. What I will do is gross-mark the cut line on the blank, center the tape & wrap 2-3 times, then re-measure and mark on the surface of the tape where I plan to cut using a fine point sharpie.

This has been a very clean method for me, you definitely should avoid graphite dust in your lungs or your eyes.

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: March 19, 2024 09:01PM

I've used both a small hack saw and a powered miter/chop saw. As others mentioned, wrap the blank with painters tape first.

Both methods worked well for me.

Date: March 19, 2024 09:52PM

Thank you all for the responses. This will be my 1st time cutting a blank.
I would hate to damage a very nice blank.
This is all very helpful.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2024 06:51AM

"I would hate to damage a very nice blank."

Cutting the blank will likely void its warranty.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2024 08:55AM

Ross is correct. It is very typical that the manufacturer warranty against defects in materials and workmanship will be voided by any alterations (sanding, painting, shortening, lengthening, etc) made to the blank. When in doubt, contact the manufacturer and ask.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2024 09:47AM

Perhaps the inner diameter of the handle could be reamed to fit the blank rather than cutting the blank to fit the handle.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 20, 2024 11:20AM

Hello All.

Here are a couple articles for your consumption:

Volume/Issue.....................Artiocle..........................................Author...........................................Page
6/6 Blanks: Characteristics, Properties and Terms, Part 1. By Emory Harry, And Jack Hurt. 28
7/1 Blanks: Characteristics, Properties and Terms, Part 2. By Emory Harry, And Jack Hurt. 16

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Logan Summers (---)
Date: March 20, 2024 02:01PM

Does cutting an NFC void the warranty? I've read posts from Aleks on here that some blanks were designed with ability to trim them in mind - Specifically the MB 765 NEO.

Date: March 20, 2024 05:58PM

Thank you for the continued responses.

I have contacted NFC via the Info email.
I will post the reply once rec'd.

p.s. I have read on the NFC site that some blanks may be cut down without changing the action. Unfortunately I do not recall where I read this. I will post if I come across it again.

Date: March 20, 2024 08:07PM

My Question and the quick reply from Kelsey @ NFC:

Question:
I recently purchased a, MB 724-1(X-Ray LMX) Black Mirror Finish (0889.86) and a XO Skeleton Handle. 

Does trimming or cutting the blank to fit the handle void the warranty?

I need to remove 2.5" from the butt end to reduce the diameter from .593" to .574" to assemble with the XO handle.

(.574" was the largest Diameter Class X Gage pin I could "slip" fit into the ID of the handle.) 

Reply:
No, you will be fine. Just be sure to test the blank prior to building.

Sincerely,

Kelsey K
Blank/OEM Manager
Edge Rods/North Fork Composites
1387 Down River Dr
Woodland, WA 98674

Posted by: Charlie Safley (---.tingfiber.com)
Date: March 20, 2024 08:41PM

If you're going to be cutting allot of blanks, you might want to consider one of these jigs. They are commonly used in bike shops with a fine tooth hack saw for cutting carbon fiber tubes (like handle bars & steerer tubes). Masking tape is typically used (like described above), & take care not to crush the tube when clamping.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2024 08:41PM by Charlie Safley.

Date: March 20, 2024 09:15PM

Charlie,

Thank you for the Link. I will be ordering one. I have a number of friends interested in the AT Tsuka 2 and the NFC XO handles.

Below is the YouTube video that showed this jig and other options.

[https://youtu.be/JDS4Xetl1zk?si=3pP50bJN-oBzyOes]

Thank you.

Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2024 09:19PM

I use a tubing cutter all the time with no dust,no problem

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 20, 2024 10:37PM

I am not a fan of any type of clamp to hold the blank, there is a possibility that the blank can be crushed or cracked by over tightening (my fear).

I wrap masking tape where I will make my cut. I lay the blank on my bench, grasp the blank with my left hand, with my right hand I have a Dremel with a cut off wheel.

I carefully make small light cuts along the tape line while slowly turning the blank until it parts.

Most times the cut is fairly square, but who cares the end gets buried in the butt cap.

Just make sure you wear safety glasses and dust mask plus any other PPE you feel you may need.

Have fun

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 21, 2024 01:02AM

I usually try support the inner wall, in addition to the masking tape around the outside. If it’s not too far in you can put masking tape in on a stick or even rubber cement barely getting to the cut line. More important is to use a fine toothed blade, and of course breathing protection in a place away from occupancy. I set a saw horse outside so only the lawn bug larvae are at risk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2024 01:04AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 21, 2024 08:34PM

All great advice given, I really don't go as far as some. I use a coping saw and cut by hand with the blank laying on a piece of 2 x 4. The first blank I cut I wrapped with masking tape, but I haven't done that since, and I've had no problem with splintering And since I am sawing slowly by hand, I don't worry about eye protection, or a dust mask. They're great ideas, but sawing by hand I just don't feel it's a concern.

If you're concerned about dust created by hand sawing it with a hack saw or other fine tooth hand saw, the shop vac idea that Ken spoke of early in the thread would really probably be all you need to use.

Cutting it with power tools is a totally different scenario. when it comes to dust creation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster