I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another KR concept question
Posted by: Josh Freeseman (206.85.179.---)
Date: March 17, 2024 10:58AM

I am using the KR Guide placement software, using a 3000 spool and 6-10lb braid, it spits out 16H, 8H, 5.5M. and the following spacing, 19", 10.72", 7.93". If I want to upsize to the 20H, 10H, 5.5M reduction train, should i use the spacing numbers for the 16H shown previously? or should I edit my reel/line inputs until the software spits out a 20H reduction train? For reference, doing this gives the following spacing: 21", 11.07", 8.38".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another KR concept question
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2024 11:27AM

If you want to use the 20H, 10H, 5.5M reduction guide group because you might at some time be using heavier line, or a larger reel on the rod, then use the spacing given for the 20H guide group. And while I am pretty sure you could use the spacing for the 16K guide group with the 20H guide group, if you're using the 6 - 10# braid you mention, why would you want to do that?

If you want to use the 20H guide group because it makes the rod more versatile, then use the spacing the software calls out for that group of guides.

Posted by: Josh Freeseman (206.85.179.---)
Date: March 17, 2024 12:25PM

Thanks David

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 17, 2024 01:53PM

To get the software to recommend the 20-10-5.5 up the line pound test until it gives the 20. Use that spacing. Since the heights of the guides are not exactly the same different spacing will be called out.

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: March 18, 2024 08:08AM

I have been watching some other posts and thoughts, one thing pointed out was the type of braid being used. The newer PE braids are super supple and I believe one may be able to get away with placing the guides further out.

Rod Builds are getting so technique specific it is difficult to get them to that epitome performance levels using different lines and styles of fishing. I have always been trying to push for more than one useful purpose, most of the time a particular build has one thing it likes to do more.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 18, 2024 01:01PM

If you space the guides further out than you are just going back to the older concepts, the GPS system is supposed to reduce the big guide's mass and place them further back on the rod for better balance and leave the rest of the rod to light, small, line flow controlling guides. Before you do though, take that reel and line and put it on your lightest powered casting rod and go test cast it, you are now testing about the worst-case scenario there is, how did it do? How did it balance? Now this is where your baseline should start on rod performance, balance, etc., a place where everything thereafter can be measured by, the above appears to be picking at the edges.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster