I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is your favorite live baiting striper blank?
Posted by: Jeppe Nielsen (---)
Date: March 14, 2024 01:56PM

Does anyone have any pictures of a built rainshadow rcbl70l? I really like this blank but haven’t seen the specific model in person, curious as to what the finish looks like. If anyone has any favorite live bait blanks definitely comment them! I have built a few of get bits signature composite 7’10 rods but looking for something different for the northeast.
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is your favorite live baiting striper blank?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2024 02:19PM

I do a lot of this type fishing, but pull crankbaits. I like the Seeker CLB704 and for lighter use lean towards the CSB706. These are glass blanks with an outer wrap of carbon from the butt up about 2/3rds towards the tip. This allows a smaller diameter butt, lots of power but a very light, soft glass tip. I do not know if Seeker still offers these but anything in similar construction from another maker would be something to look at.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: March 14, 2024 02:19PM

What size striper and what type of presentation?

I have build some RCLB70's and feel the blank is too fast for the live-bait striper fishing we do inland with in-line planer boards - the fish feels the board too fast. The RCLB79's are a bit more moderate, but still a little fast for my preference for this style fishing.

Now, if tossing lures, or freelining with rod in hand, they may be more appropriate....

Date: March 14, 2024 02:21PM

Sorry I meant to be more clear, I am talking about livelining mackerel from boats into the rips off of cape cod. Looking for something sensitive with enough backbone for 45 inch fish.

Date: March 14, 2024 02:23PM

Fishing a bg mq 5k with 40lb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2024 02:44PM

If you can find any Seeker CLB706 blanks you'll have what you want.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 14, 2024 03:12PM

Have you thought about looking to see if Batson has done a Youtube Blank Talk video that can help? There are a big bunch of them.

Posted by: Nathan Melanson (---.bng01.wlmn.ct.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 15, 2024 07:48AM

Jeppe Nielsen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry I meant to be more clear, I am talking about
> livelining mackerel from boats into the rips off
> of cape cod. Looking for something sensitive with
> enough backbone for 45 inch fish.

I really like the rodgeek Xcomps for livelining bunker. I use the 732 up to the 734 typically depending if i am free swimming or using a 3-way and sinker.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: March 16, 2024 05:45PM

jeppe,
I'm late to the party because while I do market all blanks for CTS - I specialize in fly blanks.
But My son runs a 24 foot center consol out of the Jones Beach inlet.
I built him a 7'6" CTS BayMaster built as a conventional rod and also a 7'0" lighter rod - same model.
To provide some details - the 7'6" rod can handle sinkers up to 12-14 Oz when he fishes deep for large Tog.
The lighter rod has a sweet spot at 6-8 Oz

Either blank is perfect for what you want.
I fished the rips off Monomoy many times with Guide Tony Biski in his Jones Brothers - so, I know what you want.

My personal best is a 35# Bass on a 9 wt fly rod.

Herb Ladenheim
CTS Rep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster