I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ISO: The Most Powerful Musky Blank
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.dnvrcox1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: March 14, 2024 12:56AM

Evening Everyone, I'm looking to build a rod that can command Prescence of a 23oz musky glide bait. I have built on a NFC SWB 909-2(X-Ray LMX) that was rated for 12-24oz baits and while it can handle casting the bait, it doesn't feel like it owns up to the job. Ideally I'm looking for something faster than that NFC blank, and in the range of 7'11" to 9'. I have been looking at the MU108XXH-MHX (shipping concerns, but 16oz), REVM710XH-SB (rated to 12oz), Rod Geeks MKY86XHF (rated to 10oz), And the Bushido BA3K8/50-80 (rated to 10oz). I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience with those in regard to overweighting them with a larger bait, does that action stand up to the task, or could it handle a heavier lure? Or if there are some other outliers I'm not considering or some blanks that could be shorter, but handle modified or sleeved to handle that type of bait. And potentially if anyone has experience with the NFC SWB/MUXH809 IM-LMX (rated to 16oz) if that will stand up to a 23 oz bait and have a more commanding presence than the SWB 909-2. This glide bait is 16" in length and 23oz that we're trying to tame.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ISO: The Most Powerful Musky Blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 14, 2024 02:24AM

Why don't you ask the builder of the bait what they use?

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: March 14, 2024 09:04AM

If you can get by with a blank that's 8' you should look at the Rodgeeks X-Comp 805 or 806, you really don't want a fast blank for that heavy of a load. The X-Comp's have a more moderate action and will make casting the heavy lures with less fatigue. chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/[cdn.shopify.com]

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 14, 2024 09:36AM

I have been using the BA3K86 & 9 for the past few years and they have become one of my favorites for big baits. I have yet to build on the BA3K8/50-80 but have been eyeing it out for a while. We would love to hear how it comes out.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: March 14, 2024 11:30AM

You might check out the Rainshadow RX7 Telescoping Musky model: REVMT90XH-SB. Disregard the 6-12oz. lure weight rating. In my experience dealing with musky builders, the primary determining factor in a musky rod's "commanding presence" is tip size. The aforementioned model has a 10.5 tip, which makes it an absolute tank. If you don't want a telescoping model because of the odd stripper guide spacing required to collapse it., just epoxy the sections together and make it a permanent 1-piece 9' rod. Tip size is one of those factors like engine displacement; there's really no replacement for the effect it has on blank performance, specifically action.
I also second what Mark said. You don't want a true fast action rod when launching big stuff a long way. You'll make yourself miserable instead of letting the rod do the work.

See the Revelation RX7 Telescoping Musky models here: [batsonenterprises.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (57.140.108.---)
Date: March 14, 2024 01:26PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why don't you ask the builder of the bait what
> they use?

I did, and when I did, he stated it wasn't ideal and he wished he had a more powerful rod. Not three days later I got the ad from NFC that they had their 12-24oz 2piece 9' musky blank coming out. So I sent him the ad and he instantly asked if wanted to build it, and here I am after getting feedback that it's not up to the task for that bait. I'm motivated enough to learn things and buy a couple other blanks to find one that works. I know there isn't going to be some blank that snap casts that weight, but there will be something that handles swinging that much weight around better than that model, even if I drop back to the non X ray swimbait blanks. I definately appreciate the feedback and experiences of others here.

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 14, 2024 02:42PM

I have two Rainshadow 80 pound musky blanks, one piece, 8 feet long, that I am wrapping to use as deep water heavy jigging rods in the Straits of Juan de Fuca (SALT WATER). They are stiff!!!

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 15, 2024 11:14AM

Andrew, before you purchase another blank, try an experiment with the rod you built.

What I'm proposing is for you to simulate trimming the tip of your rod to see if you can improve how the rod's newly increased power would handle the big lure that you want to use. To simulate trimming the blank, cut your line, back it out of the rod tip, and have the line run through and exit the last runner guide before the rod tip. This will mostly eliminate the effect of the existing rod tip and simulate how the rod will work with a new rod tip location at the position of the last runner guide.

Try handling the lure around the boat to see if you have improved control over it. You can also try some casts, but take extra care to avoid tangling the tip on a cast and snapping it off.

If you need even more power, you can try exiting the line through the second to last runner to simulate trimming the blank even more. You can refine the location further by temporarily installing an additional runner between the existing guides to try other "trim" points. Since your existing rod is close to the power you want, you should be able to dial in a trim point (and rod power) that suits your needs. You'll have to judge whether you like the new action as trimming a blank's tip slows the rod's action. If you can't get the right power dialed in or you don't like the new rod action, you will need a different blank.

If you can simulate a suitable configuration, pick up another of the same blank and repeat the mock-up process to determine the ideal trim point on the new blank. It should be very close to if not the same point you found on your rod. Trim the tip and then extend the butt of the blank to make it whatever length you want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster