I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Novice - Single leg Fuji running guides for 4wt and 5 wt
Posted by: Joe Samluk (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2024 07:14PM

I'm still a novice and a lot of really good info on the forum but can't find much on single leg Fuji running guides.

Gonna do both a 5wt and 4 wt rod build and have limited experience regarding guides and sizes for freshwater. Also, if it makes sense I do prefer single foot Fuji where applicable over snake running guides.

Research suggests for the 5 wt TLKWTG size 12 and TLKWTG size 10 but should both of the 1st two guides be double foot? Should I step down to a 3rd single foot before all one size runnings? Which running guides and what size? The smallest in TKTTG is size 3.0. Do I need to jump to snakes as I need smaller?

For the 4 wt does it make sense to start with TLKWTG size 10 and then TLKWTG size 8 and then essentially the same questions - where to go from here?

Any help or insight to point me in the right direction much appreciated.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Novice - Single leg Fuji running guides for 4wt and 5 wt
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2024 07:46PM

On rods as light as those you could even get by with single foot guides in the #1 and #2 positions. Typically I don't use them because a 10 or 12 is high enough that there could be some durability issues with single foots in those positions. However, many others use them and do fine. Pressure from a fighting fish is highly unlikely to tax them so if you exercise some care in handling you could get by with all single foot guides.

From there you can go right on down to your running guides, all of the same size. In a ceramic you should be able to get by with #6's unless you have some unusually large knots to pass. I would guess than on a 4 or 5 weight rod you won't be using any sort of loop to loop shooting head.

If you can go smaller than 6's I'd do it. If they make a #5 in the guide series you mentioned I'd try them with the line that you plan to use.

Date: March 13, 2024 09:18PM

Thanks Tom. Gonna use doubles for the 1/2 positions. Likely exclusively floating lines so will try the 5s and see if they will work. Appreciate the insight.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: March 14, 2024 11:16AM

Joe,
We seem to go around and around regarding ceramics as running guides. IMO - too heavy for a 4 and 5 weight - and you will absolutely killthe performange of your rods.

I love the Fuji product - but use them as stripper and next one or two. But not as runners.
Herb
CTS

Date: March 14, 2024 11:27AM

Thanks Herb. I'll reevaluate. Appreciate your input.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 14, 2024 11:37AM

Fuji, I guess no longer makes a 10 mm SF fly guide.

Date: March 14, 2024 12:28PM

Joe,

I have used ceramics on fly rods for 35 years. I have never killed the performance of any of them. Other aspects are actually enhanced such as line pay out while stripping or fish fighting. Just be sure to use the smallest and lightest type ceramics you can utilize.

Date: March 14, 2024 02:53PM

Thanks Tom. I'll play around with size/experiment. For starters will take a pair of calipers to the 4wt and 5wt floating lines.

Date: March 14, 2024 04:42PM

The line is much smaller than the ring ID on a 5mm, but in use you want to make sure the line passes freely. The only way to determine this is to tape on a set of guides and go try it.

Date: March 14, 2024 05:09PM

Got it. Will order and give it a try. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster