I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

X-Ray blanks
Posted by: Todd Jensen (---.midco.net)
Date: March 11, 2024 07:57PM

I did do some research on this topic on past threads, but didn’t find a clear answer to my exact question.
My question is regarding the sanding or smoothing of x-ray blanks. I just received my first ever x-ray blanks.
Can I wet sand them without a power wrapper? Also, for those that have sanded them, do you feel a difference in the crispness or action of the blanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: X-Ray blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 11, 2024 08:32PM

You could have gotten many of the blanks in a mirror finish, which is more of a buffing the edges off instead of sanding. I have had no problem wrapping raw blanks, so I leave them alone. Next one a P700, I see no real issue, the ridges are smaller than some have been in the past.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2024 09:38PM

I’m with Spencer, the raw blanks will wrap fine and really don’t need sanding. However, with that said, I have also sanded a number of them to remove the ridges. I wet sand by hand and do not use a rod lathe. Basically, I use 600 to1500 grit wet/dry sand paper (the black stuff) and wet sand. All you need is a bucket of water, the sand paper, and your hands. Wet the sand paper in a bucket of water, then wrap it around the blank and begin sanding. Just gently stroke the sand paper up and down the blank while turning with you other hand. When sanding, the resin will come off turning the water milky white. Sand until the blank feels smooth, and/or the water starts to turn grey. When finished wipe the blank down and, if necessary, smooth out any remaining rough spots. This is very easy to do and only takes a few minutes to get the blank smooth. Using this extremely fine wet/dry sand paper prevents damaging to the blank. It’s almost like buffing the blank smooth.
Norm

Date: March 12, 2024 05:33AM

Thank you!! I am going to try sanding one.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.62.---)
Date: March 12, 2024 07:00AM

I doubt if one could measure any physical difference between before and after sanding unless one got carried away and excessively sanded them. The only attribute that could be reasonably expected to change is True Natural Frequency, but I doubt even that will change. It's easy to do , so you might want to consider it.

Posted by: Kurt Dikkers (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2024 07:44AM

The only negative I have experienced with the ridges on X-rays was with my homemade wrapper that I used polyethylene strips for the rod to rotate on. The crisp edges of the polyethylene would catch on the ridges while wrapping. I replaced the polyethylene with felt and no more problems.

Posted by: Robert Henry (57.140.28.---)
Date: March 12, 2024 01:05PM

I use the exact process Norm outlined and have sanded roughly 15 so far without issue. The ridge resin is white, so it's easy to tell once you're done. I also use 600 followed by1500 grit wet sand combo. Takes about 10 minutes or so.

You can wrap with the ridges no problem, I've done quite a few. I do feel like I get a better packed wrap with a smooth blank.

The only real downside to the ridges I've seen involves tip wrap with very light braided lines, the ridges want to grab it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2024 02:27PM

If you sand, stop as soon as the sanding residue goes from clear (resin) to black (carbon). Also keep in mind that altering the blank's original condition can void a warranty. When in doubt, contact the maker and ask.

Date: March 12, 2024 03:35PM

I completed both blanks. I used 2500 grit wet to be safe as it was my first go at it and didn’t want to mess up. It worked just fine and they both turned out good. Thanks all for the awesome detailed instructions! Much appreciated!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster