I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

0 rings on reel seats.
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: March 01, 2024 07:59PM

Yes...likely a dumb question, but since I don't know the answer, it isn't dumb for me! I purchased a Loomis fly rod about twenty-five years ago that had 0 rings somewhere along the threaded stem, somehow related to the double locking nuts. The only reason I knew of their existence is that they eventually both broke, and their being loosely attached after snapping brought them to my attention. They're long gone.

I see many aluminum fly reel seats boasting the double locking nuts and the 0 rings. First off, where do these 0 rings sit, and what purpose do they serve? As I recall they were REALLY thin, so it's no wonder that they eventually snapped. And if they do serve a significant purpose, and they do snap, can they be replaced?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I try to learn something new every day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 0 rings on reel seats.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 01, 2024 09:36PM

The o-rings go in a groove cut into the knurled nut's face, I'm willing to bet they are not a "special" o-ring as they come in so many sizes I'm sure they just picked one that would work. Most things are made with the cost of making special components in mind, when a generic item can be made to work just fine, they do so.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 02, 2024 12:01AM

I would surmise they create a tighter seal between the reel seat locking nuts. If you would like to replace them you could heat the reel seat butt cap in boiling water and loosen its epoxy bond, spin off the nut and try and find an o ring to fit it. Replace O ring and then re-epoxy on the butt cap.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2024 07:43AM

The O rings on one of my aluminum seats were in fact special, had a right and a wrong way to go on in order to fit into the groove in the nut, and had a very thin section size. I'm not sure that standard O rings will always work the same as the ones that come on the seats.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 02, 2024 07:51AM

Check out McMaster-Carr, they have all sizes of O-rings (round and square) including metric sizes.

Have fun

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: March 02, 2024 08:45AM

A lot of those are not o/rings, rather they are Delrin to aid in the holding ability and reduce wear from metal on metal contact

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 02, 2024 11:40AM

Both my Loomis GL3 sinktip rod and my first year GLX have o rings, bought many years apart.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: March 02, 2024 12:25PM

Ron Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... rather they are Delrin to aid in the holding ability and reduce
> wear from metal on metal contact

I gotta admit...I had to look up Delrin.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 03, 2024 06:32AM

If they're like the ones that come in the extra locking ring that comes with Alps MVT reel seat hoods, and they most likely are ...... then they're like Ron said, and they're plastic. Like he said, they're just there to aid in holding ability and prevent metal to metal contact.

I suppose if it was really a concern, you could just slip a proper size O ring between the two pieces so it prevents metal to metal contact. I personally wouldn't be concerned with it though. It's not there to prevent water intrusion.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2024 08:44AM

Nylon washers between locking rings are intended to provide a smooth surface between the rings which facilitates tightening that second ring. If you have an O-ring (some do) that is to provide a bit of spring force between the locking rings to prevent easy loosening while transporting, fishing, etc. Both of these problems were solved with the advent of the nylon composite reel seats which do both from the nature of the material they are made from. Aluminum seats rely on additional pieces such as the washer and/or O-ring.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2024 04:04PM

On offshore rods there most likely will be a flat washer made of Viton or nylon that is between the locking nuts for the purpose of these coming loose and being able to get them apart. If you ever tried to separate these that do not have a washer between them, it is a chore.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster