I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Refined Carbon Guide Design
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2024 12:37PM

Refined frame design + tip top. Some of you saw these at the ICRBE show this weekend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Refined Carbon Guide Design
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 29, 2024 03:01PM

The tiptop still looks a little clunky, but the guide design is much improved over earlier versions, IMHO. I would be interested in how their weight compares with equal size titanium frame guides and tiptops, , on a percentage basis.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2024 03:19PM

They look like a high frame small ring design that could be used in a KR concept. Very nice,I’d certainly try them. How do you put the tip top on? Can hot melt tip top cement be use, or do you need to use something else?
Norm

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2024 04:11PM

Here’s a weight comparison:

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 01, 2024 11:07AM

Hello Aleks.

I like them.

1. When will they be released for public consumption?

2. What size types and assortments will be available?

3. Will there be ring color choices?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 02, 2024 07:16PM

Those look much better than the earlier versions you were showing. The guides themselves look super sweet. The tip tops, not so much. But I don't imagine there is anything you could do much different with the tip tops. Curious as to what the running guides will look like? Are you shooting for a Fuji KB / KT type frame, or a simple Fuji L type frame? I would think a L type frame would be easier to make less clunky looking.

Also curious as to what the ring material (s) may be?

The guides look sweet though, that's for sure. I can definitely see at least one set in my future. Just depends on what the running guides are going to look like.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 03, 2024 09:48AM

These look nice to me, Aleks!

I came to the conclusion that if they are lighter than any metal frame guides, that puts them in a 'definitely interested' category. I also thought about a KR Concept using these for the Reduction train - and regular KB's and KT's for Belly and Tip Section guides. Hybrid guide train.

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2024 08:50PM

Are they being offered in Torzite?

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 05, 2024 10:33PM

Les Cline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These look nice to me, Aleks!
>
> I came to the conclusion that if they are lighter
> than any metal frame guides, that puts them in a
> 'definitely interested' category.

The one shown appears to weigh .19 grams or .00669 ounces less.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 06, 2024 01:09PM

Kendall,

How much do a pair of mosquito wings weigh? (My grandma said that if a butterfly lands on your fishing rod, you may get a new dress soon! Maybe she could feel it land?! Lol.)

I get your point. If they are in the ballpark, I was thinking how ornery I could be with my fishing buddies showing them a cutting-edge rod and proudly boasting, "The only metal on this rod is in my knee!"

It's all fun.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 06, 2024 01:18PM

Chris Rosell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are they being offered in Torzite?

Torzite is a Fuji ceramic , these are NFC .

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: March 06, 2024 04:35PM

They’re looking good!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 06, 2024 04:58PM

Maybe she could feel it land?! Lol

Les, let's not get started on sensitivity again! :-)

I also thought about a KR Concept using these for the Reduction train - and regular KB's and KT's for Belly and Tip Section guides

If you want to maximize TNF/recovery speed then use these for runners, assuming there will be some and they will be lighter, and the metal guides for the reduction guides. On some blank, faster actions, the reduction guide weight does not affect TNF. (within a reasonable variation)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2024 05:02PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 06, 2024 10:31PM

If there is only .19 grams difference in by far the biggest guide on a spinning rod, the difference between running guides is probably that mosquito wing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster