I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Throop Tiger Wrap
Posted by: Don Rogers (---.joink.com)
Date: February 29, 2024 10:51AM

Hello Folks. Just finished my first Tiger Wrap. I want to say thanks to Bill Faulkner of FCR for his excellent instructional YouTube video. Of course he gave credit to Scott Throop, the originator of the design, and to Rod Maker magazine for first sharing this technique with Scott’s article.

I am sure many of you have done these, so I would like to share my experience and a couple of pics and get your feedback about the challenges I had and anything you can share about tips/tricks you have developed for yourself.

As Bill suggested, I used Gen 4 high-build on the base layer, and then their low-build on top. I had never used high-build epoxy, but have a new appreciation for it now and will use it on my decorative wraps in the future. He emphasized putting on four coats over the base wrap in order to get the depth needed for spacing between the base wrap and the top wrap. This effect, as he said, is an optical illusion called the Wire Effect. Four coats of high-build is a crazy amount of epoxy! This is where one of my challenges came from - it created a ramp at each end of the wrap that the top end thread wanted to slide off of. So, I wrapped tape around the blank on the up-hill wrap to prevent the thread from sliding backwards and then scuffed the down-hill end with sandpaper for traction. Next time, I am going to coat these "ramps" with CP and see if that prevents the slipping.

The next issue was my biggest difficulty - thread tension. Bill was clear about not using too much tension so you can burnish the threads to bring out the wavy Tiger effect. I usually run a lot of tension on my wraps, so this was new. I used a CRB 4-spool thread carriage, which has a single dynamic tensioning rod. You get two sources of tension with this set-up - the static tension of the springs on the carriage and the dynamic tension from the fiberglass tension rod. I like this set-up, though I know a lot of folks don't. That rod helps keep the thread tight on the wrap until it is secured. I have measured the tension on that rod when it is bent over at about 100 degrees, and it is just shy of 1/2 lb/f, so not a concern. But, when you run three threads through that eyelet, they seem to bind and really pull it over, creating too much tension for this technique. In the future, I am going to put two more tension rods in the back of this unit so each thread has its own rod. That should do the trick. I'll see.

Finally, I poured (yes, literally poured) a heavy coat of low-build over the single remaining thread on the top wrap at a higher rpm than I normally use. For those familiar with this technique, you know this is the thread left after removing the two sacrificial threads. The thread was wrapped so loose that I was concerned about it moving if I brushed the epoxy on, so pouring it followed by light horizontal brushing got it done. In the future, I will make sure that thread is a little tighter.

Pictures are posted here: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Throop Tiger Wrap
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---)
Date: February 29, 2024 12:11PM

Very nice work!

Date: March 01, 2024 08:59AM

Thanks, Bruce.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.29.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 01, 2024 07:08PM

First one? Well done right out of the gate.

Date: March 02, 2024 08:57PM

Hey Folks - posted a pic of how I adapted a CRB 4-spool thread carriage to do Tiger Wraps. Each thread has its own tension rod and screw-eye. There is also an L shaped hook in the slider that directs the thread up to the blank. A pic is posted here: [www.rodbuilding.org]

This set-up has completely remedied my issues with thread tension while doing the Tiger Wrap. Once each thread is tensioned equally, then they don't cross or bind with each other and create more or inconsistent tension. Makes doing these wraps much easier and more fun.

I appreciate the complement, Mark.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2024 09:12AM by Don Rogers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster