I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing / Reinstalling CF rear grip
Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (47.219.161.---)
Date: February 28, 2024 01:21PM

Guys, did something the other day with regards to replacing a rear grip that might be of some interest. I had a build that I did several months back where the carbon fiber rear grip (7”) had started to loosen a bit. I tolerated it for a while then decided to work on it. The rod was an Immortal P76M (Butt 0.467”). I bought a 12” length of brass tube (17/32” ID), although ½” would have worked, and cut some “teeth” on one end with a Dremel tool. I slid the other end onto a ½” drill bit wrapped w/ blue tape for an arbor for a snug fit. After carefully removing the syn cork butt cap w/ a heat gun, and clearing some of the epoxy away from the butt, I was able to easily ream over the butt end inside the grip w/ the tube all the way to the reel seat. The grip was then free to be removed. The ream job also left the section of the butt clean and uniform so it could be easily sanded and prepped. After arboring the butt section w/ fiberglass mesh drywall tape, I glued up the grip, installed it from the back end and was good to go. This technique might even work on a cork grip with a little patience while reaming and if the teeth were a little sharper. Anyway, another tool in my tool box. Thanks!

Good, fast, cheap.....Pick two!

Berk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing / Reinstalling CF rear grip
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.243.57.---)
Date: February 28, 2024 04:15PM

Larry - good fo you to improvise.
I use sharpened thin-walled brass tubing of various diameters to cut a plug from my rubberized cork fighting butt cap. The hole allows me to insert the bushed steel rod to turn my fly rod handles right on the blank. I use the same plug to close hole after the grip is shaped.
Herb
CTS

Re: Removing / Reinstalling CF rear grip
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 28, 2024 04:57PM

Larry, that's a great idea, and definitely something I will keep in mind for possible future use. Thanks for sharing !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster