I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Next Level Rod Finish
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2024 11:23AM

Next Level Rod Finish, does anyone have info on this NEW finish. I just ordered a quart from GET BIT. Haven't heard a peep about this before hand. Thanks

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Next Level Rod Finish
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: February 28, 2024 12:10PM

It is probably just as good as any of the other 20 epoxies already out there. Or maybe none are any good and that is why we keep seeing so many new epoxy coatings pop up. I cannot figure out what the existing epoxies are not doing to the extent that everybody and their brother is bringing out a new epoxy every few months.

Date: February 28, 2024 12:16PM

Hi Mike, I don't have problems with any of the epoxies out there (I have them all) I was just curious as to what is different from the rest. Sounds like it would be a good pizza shop name.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2024 12:21PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: February 29, 2024 12:20PM

It will have to actually mix and apply itself to get me to change from Gen4.....

Date: March 01, 2024 08:26AM

Believe it or not, But PAC-BAY was my go to epoxy.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 02, 2024 08:08PM

Gen4 is the best on the market.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 03, 2024 02:18AM

It’s certainly curious that there is no company name or website, just one retailer who isn’t offering much of a description.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: March 04, 2024 11:08AM

Kendal - Kevin Brotz, from GetBit, is the one who worked to develop that epoxy and after a lot of revisions has jut brought it to market - so the GetBit website is the website i guess :)

I've had some of the iterations along the way and have used the latest/final on a bait net and now on a rod in process. My initial reactions are that it needs to be warmed up some to loosen the viscosity before drawing in a syringe and applying - your mileage may vary here depending on your shop - I work in my finished basement that stays around 65 degrees. The two parts are very clear at application and it seems to have good bubble release and leveling properties. I know some prominent builders have been using it a bit more extensively and had very positive things to say about it.

As I said in the epoxy session I did at ICRBE the other weekend - try a number of finishes and find the one that works for you in your environment and your preferred application technique - and it never hurts to try something new either - never know - you might find something that works even better for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2024 11:13AM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2024 11:25AM

It is a true "High-Build" finish and will likely be welcomed by those who understand how to use an epoxy with this slightly thicker viscosity. LS-Supreme is similar in viscosity. The trick with these is to put them on and leave things alone. Let them do what they do for several minutes rather than attempting to manipulate the finish to make it level. They'll do that on their own if you let them.

If you want a thinner epoxy look you can either use a stiffer brush for application or warm the finish in order to reduce the working viscosity a bit.

Almost all epoxy wrap finishes work better at room temperature (68F to 72F) but not all rod builders have such an environment to work in year 'round so you have to understand how to accommodate various finishes at different temperatures.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster