I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

commercial tiger thread
Posted by: John Mozingo (---.es-b.wireless.fsr.net)
Date: February 26, 2024 02:24PM

I'm putting together, some offshore rods. The client wants tiger thread. I have never read or heard if it is as strong as regular thread. I'm going to under wrap with A size, I have some D size tiger thread and was planning on using it for my over wrap. Anyone know if it is the same strength?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: commercial tiger thread
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 26, 2024 02:53PM

What's the difference between Jasper that has been around forever and tiger thread?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2024 03:53PM

He may be talking about common variegated thread.

…………

Posted by: John Mozingo (---.es-a.wireless.fsr.net)
Date: February 26, 2024 06:48PM

I only know it by the brand, Prowrap, Tiger thread. The spool says size A TWT. I don't know if it is good for over wrap, or if its decretive only? I measured it and it is .010. I also have some older Gudebrod witch is " variegated" green/black, also brown/black. Gudebrod says size D measures .010", the Prowrap, is what the client would preferer but I would not want to put it together and have it fail! I'm very confused as to its strength?!?!?

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2024 08:28PM

The prowrap tiger thread is the same as a jasper or zebra thread. It’s basically two thread colors twisted together to form a single strand. There is no problems with its strength since it is made with the same fibers as used with a single color regular wrapping thread. It is used exactly the same way as regular thread. However, in order for the contrasting colors to stand out you should use color preserver.
Norm

Date: February 27, 2024 09:50AM

Did some looking and it is similar to Gudebrod Jasper, that says size D. I'm confused as it measures size D, the same size as Prowrap, that is marked size A. I guess I'll double over wrap,

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2024 10:42AM

The tiger (jasper/zebra) thread is thicker than size A regular thread.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2024 01:55PM

You may want to clarify with your client that it is a "Tiger Thread" or a "Tiger Wrap" he wants. He may have seen or heard about it but doesn't know exactly what it is. Embellishments like Tiger wraps on offshore rods is very common.

Date: February 28, 2024 01:07PM

You all have been very helpful, and I'm very grateful for all your input! I have had several conversations about the "tiger thread" with the client. He even said "its just a tool for catching fish, put the tiger thread on and if it fails, we'll redo", but do what you think is best. This is my first, "Big Game Rod" as I live in north Idaho. I've chose to do a double over wrap, as I don't want to have a rod failure! He has given me some "artistic license" and said he "doesn't care about looks, and won't blame me if it fails" but I think he does, and I don't want any "bad press"! I mainly wrap fly rods, so this is a bit out of my wheel house. He fishes for large, and Ling Cod, and halibut. He wants it spiral wrapped as well, and a large fore and but grip. It has been a learning curve, for me, but I enjoy learning!
John

Date: February 28, 2024 09:18PM

Norm, I feel a little scatter brained. I miss one of your posts, the one on the 26th. Thanks, you answered, somehow, I missed it. I guess I could have gone with a single over wrap! It's a double over wrap now.
I do have a stupid question, If I may? 20 years ago, when I started, (I didn't wrap anything for 16 years until now) I read that color preserver works by not allowing the finish to soak into the thread. I had no scientific way of testing that, so I made a couple of test wraps, I used some color preserver on some, and some without. There was a difference in how easily the thread with color preserver came off. Does the color preserver weaken the wrap? Also, if that's how color preserver works does the color stable thread, inhibit the finish from penetrating and thus weakening the wraps. Also am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Is the strength difference anything to be concerned about? I've only made about 40 rods and have never used color preserver after my test. And lastly, I've gone way beyond "a stupid question".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster