I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7wt Streamer Fly Blank suggestions
Posted by: Alex Socci (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: February 26, 2024 12:17AM

Hey Guys, Im looking to build out a 7wt rod for sink tips and larger trout streamers. Ive been very impressed with my 8wt Sage Payload in the salt and would like to build something similar, but in a lighter weight. Right now im looking seriously at the NFC LMX Blanks in a 9’ 7wt but Id like to hear some suggestions. Im thinking of trimming 3” from the butt of a fast 9’ blank to have more flex in the butt end and id like to find something with a softish sensitive tip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7wt Streamer Fly Blank suggestions
Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: February 26, 2024 11:14AM

I built a 10' #7 rod on a CTS blank for steelhead using streamers (and other flies, of course). Wonderful

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.243.57.---)
Date: February 26, 2024 06:41PM

Alex,
Depending on size of Trout and sinktip line weights - the definitive trout rod is the CTS Affinity-Vintage 9'0" #5.
Also have it in 8'6".
If fish are large are sink tips heavy - the Affinity-MX in a 9'0" #7
You won't have to cut either blank.

Another blank is one that I designed using CTS' custom design program. I built a #6 Protoype for Chico Fernandez that he uses for bonefish in ultra calm weather.
Herb

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: February 26, 2024 06:54PM

The Payload is known as a fast and powerful blank.

I built an NFC LMX 9ft 8wt and I think it is a very good rod. It is fairly fast action but not too much so. I would not say its tip is soft, but it bends plenty. I was catching 15" rooster fish in Mexico in the salt from the beach and it cast well and flexed/bent just fine. I would not trim off the butt. If you want a fuller flexing blank with a softer tip I would highly recommend the old Xi blanks from Hook and Hackle. They cast smoothly and are quite moderate in action, and they are selling them off to make way for the newer faster model blanks.

9' 7wt Xi on sale for $89. Cant go wrong at that price. Very pleasant green color blank and smooth casting. Not the lightest, but just fine. I have a 9' 5wt i made about 4 years ago and enjoy it quite a bit. Tip is soft enough to make it a good nymphing rod.

[store.hookhack.com]

I was not in the wrapping mood two years ago and had lots of Cabela's gift cards and purchased a TFO Mangrove Coast, which is not fast and is very pleasant to cast and fish, if you want to go off the rack for less than $350/

The Batson E2 blank would be too fast for you, I think, but a Revelation may work.

Best of luck.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 02, 2024 02:34PM

I have forgotten to bring up a point important in a sink tip streamer rod, you want a rod that roll casts well, there are many nowadays that do not. There is no better way to handle a sink tip line then to bring it in to where you are no longer fishing, roll casting the tip to the surface and immediately make one back cast and fire to your next area.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: March 02, 2024 06:16PM

Echo streamer X, not sure if the blank is available

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster