I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread finish question
Posted by: Christopher Zucker (---)
Date: February 24, 2024 03:08PM

Hi everyone,
I am preparing to finish the wraps on a 2wt glass blank. The blank is white with light green wraps and a decal that needs to be finished. I'm thinking of trying a one part finish, spar varnish, urethane, etc.

From reading through some older posts, I've gathered that urethanes tend to have an amber tint, which wouldn't be great on a white blank.

What would folks recommend I check out for a gin clear look?

Thanks,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread finish question
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: February 24, 2024 03:27PM

Spar varnish (long oil type) has a light amber color, so probably not the finish for a white blank. Same story for some of the poly and urethane "spars", but I've not tried an exhaustive number of the urethanes or poly varnishes.

No experience with the one part finishes.

Keep in mind we live in a world awash with UV. If a finish does not yellow over time the wrap colors are odds on favorites to fade.

Date: February 24, 2024 03:47PM

Thanks, Donald. That was my fear, that every good option would come with some level of amber.

I'd use PG, but the decal throws a wrench in that idea. I suppose I could do a few coats of CP over the decal. I've read that it'll protect it from the solvent, but it makes me nervous.

I might just end up sticking with low build epoxy and saving the varnish stuff for a darker blank.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 24, 2024 04:08PM

Low build epoxy in time will get a tan tint. So it's not a great solution, IMO. I think that urethanes that have an amber tint are formulated to do that, but there are clear ones. You would want to get an exterior grade. But PG if you can make it work is the right solution.

One thing to try is to do an experiment with a decal on a scrap blank piece, use CP over it, then PG, and see if it works. PG is the right solution.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2024 06:12PM

I assume you don’t have extra decals to experiment with. I tend not to use decals, so I have a bunch of them laying around from different manufacturers. Which manufacturer’s decal label are you using? If I have a decal from that manufacturer I’ll experiment for you using Permagloss and see what happens. As Micheal suggests Permagloss is your best bet. It is absolutely water clear and will never yellow. So it is the best bet for a white blank.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2024 09:46PM

Gin clear - only PermaGloss will do that but it may not be the best product for what you want to do. It's hot stuff so you'll need to coat your decal with CP prior and need to remember that it takes several coats to build any depth and isn't likely to ever look like epoxy, if that is in fact what you're going after.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 24, 2024 11:18PM

chris,
the best solution is to not to use a decal.

Rather, if you want something on the rod, write it on with a quill pen and acrylic ink.

[www.dickblick.com]

Date: February 26, 2024 07:56AM

Thanks, Roger. If my handwriting weren't atrocious I'd go that route :)

One quick coat of CP did protect the decal from melting in some tests I did yesterday. However, I found it difficult to get a nice even finish over the length of it. It did look very nice on the thread wraps though.

Any tips to applying the PG?

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 28, 2024 08:56PM

Christopher Zucker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, Roger. If my handwriting weren't atrocious
> I'd go that route :)
>
> One quick coat of CP did protect the decal from
> melting in some tests I did yesterday. However, I
> found it difficult to get a nice even finish over
> the length of it. It did look very nice on the
> thread wraps though.
>
> Any tips to applying the PG?

There have been several tips on applying PG on here. One is a very fine texture white make up sponge I have got at a Krogers female make up section.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster