I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I made a mistake
Posted by: Tolo Mentes (---.dynamic.telemach.net)
Date: February 24, 2024 03:32AM

Hello!

Today I made one STUPID mistake while placing a reel seat and grip on the blank ... :(

- I take Flex Coat Rod Builder Epoxy Glue (20 min)
- Mix it in the plastic container
- first, glued the but grip and everything was OK
- after that I saw that the glue had started to harden
- but when I added it to the place where I wanted the reel seat it was so hard that I didn't pull the reel seat on
- now I have the hard glue on the blank :(

What could I do now to remove it? Is there any option? What is the best way ...

Thank you and regards!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I made a mistake
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: February 24, 2024 07:21AM

Score the circumference of the unwanted epoxy areas on the blank with a razor knife being careful not to penetrate as deep as the blank itself. Use just enough heat from a flame, embossing gun, or heat gun to soften the epoxy allowing you to scrape or pop it off the blank with a craft stick or knife edge held vertical to the blank. If the area to be removed is small it could also be filed or sanded down to the right diameter.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.197.192.---)
Date: February 24, 2024 11:26AM

Tolo,
By now, I am sure, the epoxy has hardened.
I would not use heat - don't know how much is necessary to soften that epoxy - maybe too much for blank to handle without destorying it.
I would use a mechanical method.
Like Ross said - scraping with blade perpendicular to blank.
Maybe sanding?
Do you have a lathe - to make removal symmetrical???
Whatever you do - endeavour to make things concentric so seat is then concentric to blank.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2024 08:16PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: February 24, 2024 01:01PM

First, welcome to rod building, as we have all made really stupid mistakes over the years.

Scraping hard epoxy is difficult. It's best to try and soften it, and the good news is the butt section is the strongest and thickets part of the blank.

You could try a heat gun and apply lightly until it softens enough to more easily scrape off. Boiling can also work.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 24, 2024 04:11PM

I would certainly try a patient sanding attempt before resorting to heat. If there is "damage" to the finish that will be exposed, it can be covered with thread, abalone, or other decal type trim products. I think with patience you will get out of this just fine.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 24, 2024 10:37PM

In spite of advice to the contrary, particularly in the butt area of the rod, I use heat to soften the epoxy and scrape it off with a razor blade.

I have never had issues with appropriate heat in the butt section of the rod.

However, I am very very very cautious about using any heat in the tip section of the rod.

With gentle heat and a razor blade held perpendicular to the blank, all of the epoxy will be off the rod in a couple of minutes. +
Note:
Use just enough heat so that when you use the razor blade, the epoxy scrapes off pretty easily. If you can't scrape it off, use a bit more heat until you can use the blade to remove it.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Tolo Mentes (---.dynamic.telemach.net)
Date: February 25, 2024 10:56AM

Thank you, guys!

I used a mechanical method - scraping with a sharp blade!

In the end, everything finished fine! :)
We learn from mistakes ...

May I ask you - why was the epoxy glue hardened so fast? Because of plastic containers? Or?

Thanks and regards!

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2024 11:48AM

The plastic container will have nothing to do with setup time. The flex coat rod builders epoxy has a pot life of about 20 min and that depends on the temperature. The higher the temperature the shorter the pot life. In addition, epoxy begins curing as soon as it’s mixed, the longer you take to do your work the thicker the epoxy becomes. So with this epoxy either work fast or mix up small batches as you go. If you want something with a longer pot life use Rod Bond it takes much longer to set up.
Norm

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.197.192.---)
Date: February 25, 2024 12:45PM

Tolo,
A "trick" I use when I want to extend pot life of both structural and thread-wrap epoxies is to place them in the freezer to stop their exothermic reaction.
Herb
CTS

Posted by: Tolo Mentes (---.static.siol.net)
Date: February 26, 2024 08:11AM

Thank you, guys!

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: February 26, 2024 08:05PM

Try the Trondak products, slow cure time and longer pot life I believe. Their Permagloss for coating blanks is awesome! I use D2 or Gen 4 for the thread wraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster