I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod guides placement
Posted by: Thomas Ebsen (152.117.114.---)
Date: February 17, 2024 01:36PM

I have a air carbon North fork composites blank 7ft.2 in. Need guide spacing on it . Recoil double foot guides, thanks . I have 9 guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod guides placement
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2024 01:54PM

Building it as a casting rod? A spinning rod? What size are the guides? How many of them are double foot? How many of them are single foot? If the blank you're talking about is the MB 725 C6O2., I have two of those right now, and based on how they flex, my guess is you're going to need at least one, if not two more than what you already have.

Easiest answer is to set the spacing yourself. If it's a casting rod place the butt guide about 20 - 21" from the face of the reel, then place the rest of the guides using the two line static load placement.

If it's a spinning rod you can use some of the softwares that are available to help you set up the reduction train, but after that you place the runners using static load.

It's not hard

Date: February 17, 2024 05:26PM

Yes it's easy. I was asking anybody if they had this blank and what guide spacing you used. Mb-725 Epitome blank, air carbon. Most charts call for anywhere from 7 to 12 guides. This a casting blank. Just wondering what you guys did. I'm putting recoil dual foot titanium guides on it, and a recoil tip on it.This a 7 ft. 2 in blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 05:27PM by Thomas Ebsen.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 17, 2024 06:24PM

Date: February 17, 2024 08:00PM

Yes mudhole has a spacing guide but it not for my blank, it can make a difference because of how the rod bends. That's why I asked you guys that have this rod blank. Mb-725 Epitome blank, a castingblank.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2024 09:46PM

You're right ..... guide spacing can make a difference because of how the blank bends. Guide type and size will affect spacing as well

That's why placing the butt guide, then using the 2 line static load method, is the best way of placing your other guides.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: February 18, 2024 01:13PM

Thomas, David has given solid advice! It is something you will be very happy to know for further endeavors.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 18, 2024 07:35PM

Charts can give you a starting point and get you in the ballpark, but you must do as David advises to do it right. And I would use at least 10 guides as stated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2024 07:40PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 18, 2024 08:28PM

Thomas, Take another peek at the NFC charts, the majority of 7 ft. to 7 ft. 3 in. blanks listed have the same spacing. The type of guide wouldn't change this, using these charts 9 guides will be plenty.

Date: February 19, 2024 05:39PM

If one type of guide is taller from the bottom of the inside of the ring than a different type of guide, the spacing will change. Unless of course you don't care what your line path looks like, or if the line touches the blank.

As far as what I could find of NFC guide spacing charts. If it's the guide spacing table linked on their web site, that things a joke.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 20, 2024 12:46AM

David, Yet, if things are like Gary did before, his spacing charts online are what he used on his factory rods, and they seem to survive just fine. You can get the Edge rods with different guide packages that, I am sure, meet your description of guides, including REC guides and spiral wrapping if you want.

Posted by: Dan Kong (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: February 20, 2024 10:52AM

I built mine with 9 guides, fuji sic guides. Has performed well.

Date: February 20, 2024 06:11PM

Spencer, perhaps and I would say that it's more than likely, that the NFC guide spacing tables are based on specific guide types and sizes. It seems to me that what you're saying is that the spacing in those tables will work regardless of type and size?

I'm using a KW 10 as the butt guide, and a KW 5.5 as the guide next to the butt guide, with the rest of the guides being KBs (3 of them) and KTs (6 or maybe 7 of them) Do you think the guide spacing in the NFC spacing table is going to keep the line off the blank, using the guides I'll be using?

I don't know ...... I guess I just don't get the need for a guide spacing chart on a conventionally wrapped casting rod. The, It gets you in the neighborhood and all you have to do is make small tweaks if needed reasoning is flawed reasoning in my book.

You have to set up static load to see if it needs and to make those small tweaks? So why not just start there?

It's like doing static load in stages where you may have to move the guides as the load on the blank increases. Why not just start with a fully or heavily loaded blank, and place the guides to where you won't have to move them?

Anyhow ....... it's a custom rod, so build it how you like

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 22, 2024 08:34AM

Once the guide spacing is determined regardless of what method is used, I to a test casting.

Before the final wrap, the guides and tip are attached using tape. I mount the reel with line and lure and I take it to the water and fish with it. If I am not satisfied how it casts or handles I make a few adjustments of the guides until satisfied with the way it feels. I record the final position of the guides and I am ready to wrap.

Strictly subjective but but effective. Seems to work , never had a complaint.

Have fun

Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: March 05, 2024 09:45AM

I would probably acid / revolver wrap this beautiful blank.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster