I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

replacing guides on St Croix Avid 68mxf - recommendations?
Posted by: Scott McKelvy (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 13, 2024 08:08PM

Hi,

I am redoing a St Croix Avid 68mxf casting rod. I have lightly sanded the blank and applied a matte finish to it. I am down to the guide replacement. I plan on using KB and KT size 5 guides for the running guides. What would some of you recommend for the stripper/reduction/choke layout in addition to maybe the stripper placement?

I really appreciate your help and opinions!

Scott McKelvy
Decatur, AL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: replacing guides on St Croix Avid 68mxf - recommendations?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 13, 2024 11:21PM

Was it a casting build that you are now putting spinning guides on? Have you considered using the information available on the Fuji site for selection and spacing?

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: February 14, 2024 01:06AM

Fuji RV6 in whichever finish matches your guide train. Usually place it anywhere from 19-21" from the level wind. After the RV6, go straight to your size 5 kb. I usually use 2 or 3 kb and then the rest kt.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 14, 2024 06:50AM

Agree with Patrick on the RV-that's all I use on BC stripper + the KB / KT runners he recommends.

Posted by: Scott McKelvy (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 14, 2024 07:17PM

It was and will remain a casting rod. I did look at the Fuji site (have used for spinning) but did not find good stuff on casting rods.

I will look into the RV6. I did find that I have a KW10J, KW8K and a KW6J. If I used these I didn't know if I should use all three or two or what based on new trends. I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2024 07:23PM by Scott McKelvy.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 14, 2024 09:57PM

If I remember the KR Concept video correctly, they concluded the KW10, KW5.5, and then your running guides was the way to go on a casting rod, a static deflection test does the rest, easy peasy. I think the RV6 is still only available in Ti, the height off the blank is the same as the KW10, which is the important part.

Posted by: Ken Delbridge (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2024 08:12PM

This document is a decent GUIDE... I repeat, it is a GUIDE - there is no substitute for taping out after marking up the correct placement points, but the pdf link below provides some ideas/concepts with Fuji's products for a long list of applications.

[www.guidesnblanks.com]

If you're a rod geek it's a pretty cool document, it has a load of ideas to test or use to build something unique. I have referenced it for a lot of builds where I wasn't sure what I wanted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster