I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Question
Posted by: Philip Elrod (---.167.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 11, 2024 08:06PM

I am building on unfinished NFC blanks...I want a FUJI or Silk thread that matches the unfinished gray graphite blank. I have asked this before but the thread that was recommended is not available anymore. I would like it to blend in to the blank as much as possible. I am using this for 3-5 weight fly rods.

Thank you...pictures would be great...

Thank you,
Philip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Question
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 13, 2024 02:16AM

I can’t give you a current Fuji color as I’ve used an out of stock one and also Justace thread in Charcoal. Maybe this will still help, though. I’ve found a scoop of VooDoo Dust in Night Sky for every six ml total of rod finish helps a dark grey thread blend very well into raw carbon. I did this mix recently on an Eternity blank which is made from the latest generation of Toray carbon fiber. That’s what the NFC XRay blanks are supposed to also be made from. If there are different specifications between the two companies for the material, I doubt it would affect color.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: February 13, 2024 07:40AM

Just use YLI 212 Natural and you will have the color of the blank with only the guide feet showing in the wrap

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 13, 2024 07:49AM

While not being Fuji thread, or silk, Pro Wrap 819 Ghost Grey might be a color you want to consider. This is a picture of it raw, and with just finish on it. [www.rodbuilding.org]

While I haven't actually wrapped a guide with it yet, as with most lighter colored threads with no CP and just finish on them, I'm fairly certain that you'll be able to see the guide feet through it, once just finish is applied.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---)
Date: February 13, 2024 09:20AM

Here are some pics of test wraps with no CP.
Checkout Fuji Color 19 or prowrap 807 white.

[www.dropbox.com]

The Fuji poly won’t give you the Translucent look but still darkens with finish applied.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 13, 2024 11:04AM

Poly won't go translucent? I did not know that. I'm going to have to look at the Fuji Poly thread more closely.

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: February 13, 2024 01:46PM

There was a ProWrap ncp thread I got that was an exact color match, and the reason I didn’t use it. I’d have to check the color name when I get home. There is a little more contrast after the epoxy is applied and looked at in the sun though. Bare thread is the exact same color as the sanded X-ray blank from NFC though.

Date: February 13, 2024 05:15PM

Please let me know what color you are referring to...Thank you...

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: February 13, 2024 09:39PM

Colorfast ProWrap #831.

Date: February 15, 2024 08:49PM

Thank you...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster