I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with recoil guides.
Posted by: Cody Griffith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 10, 2024 09:08AM

Hi everyone. I'm very new to building open water rods (I've only built ice rods). I'm looking to build a spinning rod for walleyes. I really want to use recoil guides as I've had good experiences with my other rods. I'm just having trouble figuring out which model of recoil guide to use. I'm assuming that I need a combination of reduction guides and running guides, but we sites that sell recoil guides don't seem to differentiate which type of guide you are buying, just the size.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with recoil guides.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2024 09:35AM

I haven't kept up with the Recoil offerings but in the past they didn't offer different height versions of those guides and they certainly would not have listed them as "reduction" or "running guides." If they do offer high and low frame versions I'm not aware of it but that doesn't mean you can't use them in either capacity.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (181.214.151.---)
Date: February 10, 2024 10:38AM

Cody,
I use REC Recoils exclusively on my fly rods.
I hae a number of fly rods with the followig guide train:

#20 cerecoil, #16 single foot spinning, #12 spinning, #10 spinning. then 6 #4 REC Singe foot Recoils.
You would be interested in the single foot spinning guides down to about the #8's.
Call Ryan at 860 749 3476.
Or you could use all Cerecoil ceramics all the way - they have them down to #5 in the single foot.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2024 10:43AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: February 14, 2024 11:02AM

Cody - This question comes up often so we changed to options on our site to help alleviate the running guide issue. REC only differentiates sizes 4, 4.5, & 5 as single foot "micro" guides and to most these seem to be the only option for casting runners. What most do not realize is that the single foot casting runners are actually listed in the "spinning" guides. "Spinning" Recoils in size 6, 7, & 8L are really low frame runners. "Spinning" Recoil guides from size 8 on up are the high frame versions normally used in spinning guide trains. To further complicate the matter, these sizes are not equal to a "normal" guide with an insert - for example, a size 5 Recoil is smaller than a "standard" size 5 guide. This is not exact, but as a general rule of thumb, to match a Recoil size to a "standard" guide, go up one size - a standard size 5 would be a Recoil 6, a standard size 6 would be a size 7, etc. This will help size the smaller guides, but the difference will be a bit bigger on the larger guides (16,20,25). Here is the link to our site where we separate the guides for better clarity, and we also have a size chart in each guide that may help (note this is not an official REC size chart, just something we found that helps)....Casey VooDoo Rods

[voodoorods.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 14, 2024 01:08PM

As stated above they are a bit different, however for me the biggest difference was the larger spinning guides were lower in height than any other guide out there, so since I size my guides also by their height off the blank, I have always had to use larger guides in my reduction train than I would otherwise. For instance the mid height Fuji 20 BYAG id the same height a a REC 30 mm spinning. Looking at the difference from a material amount you see in both, I'm not convinced I'm gaining much if anything in weight savings between the two.

Posted by: Ray Morrison (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 14, 2024 01:55PM

The following older topic had some of the heights for REC guides.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

They didn't have the 25 and 20 so I did some quick measurements for the 25 and 20 RSPG Recoils. I did these quick so they should be a decent representation of the height.

#25 - 36.5 mm
#20 - 31.5 mm

REC did announce at last years ICAST that they were coming out with higher framed guides. Their website in the sponsor column shows that they will be available early 2024. The higher frame ones show the part numbers have XL in them for the new taller guides (example RSPGXL).

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 14, 2024 02:57PM

I imagine they will have to bump up the wire size like they do now, 20 mm guides are .055, 25 and 30 mm are .060 and 40 mm .070 wire on the originals. Measured in wire gauge inches, you'd think the longer ones would need thicker wire maybe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster