I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snake Guide Size
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2024 11:18AM

I have looked around for years and never really found an answer to this question. If I have a bunch of loose Snake guides how can I pick out the various sizes? In other words which ones are #2, which are #3 etc. They are all pretty close in size to my eye, so probably need some kind of measuring device. Same for strippers. What size is a #10 stripper guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake Guide Size
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: January 26, 2024 03:57PM

John,

Odd that there is no response to your question yet. I too am looking for some information related to fly guide sizing. Whether snake or single foot guides, I'm not really sure what the numerical designations of the guides mean to me. Is there in fact a standardization for these numbers? Do the numbers correspond to standardized diameters relative to those numbers? I have seen some information regarding the ring measurements of fly guides, and that information was that measurements for fly guides reflect the outside diameter of the guides, not the inside diameter. I'm not sure what sense that makes.

I'm hoping Herb Ladenheim will catch this and perhaps shed some light on this matter because it sure has me confused.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 26, 2024 04:08PM

The ID of the guide frame determines guide size, rings depending on what they are built from are various sizes so they can't be relied on as a standard.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2024 04:30PM

Here are some charts that give measurements.
[i.pinimg.com]
[snakeguides.com]
[raspberryfisher.files.wordpress.com]
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2024 04:32PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Terry Bain (---.fidnet.com)
Date: January 26, 2024 09:04PM

John. Get a set of calipers that measure both mm and inches. Those will give you exact measurements for inside, outside, height, length and thickness, not only of guides, but for a lot of other uses in rod building. Simply, they come in handy for all kinds of things.

Date: January 26, 2024 10:03PM

From what I understand, snake guide sizing is not uniform from one manufacturer to another. So, snakes guide sizes are not standardized. This is in contrast to ceramic ringed guides, whose sizes are standardized among manufacturers based on the OD of the ring in mm.
I think the best you can do to size your stash of snake guides is to measure the ID and/or OD of the guide loop and compare them to measurements given by various manufacturers. You might get little piles of guides from large to small, and based on their diameters get a guesstimate as to their size. Calipers are great for measuring.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:30AM

Use calipers and measure… a #2 is smaller than #3. Guides with rings, measure the outside of the ceramic ring where the ring contacts the metal.

Date: January 27, 2024 11:51AM

All,
Many thanks for the replies. As I thought with a lot of what we do in rod building more of a "That looks about right" or TLR as we used to say in the AF. I had a feeling each manufacturer had their own sizing and I do own several calipers and micrometers that I use all the time. But the measurements I was getting were all over the charts and I was just curious as to why. Now I know and I will arrange my guides based on size "range" and be happy with it.

Again, many thanks.

Date: January 28, 2024 12:14AM

Measuring guide diameters, whether inside or outside, for the purpose of putting the ones you already own in size places is one thing. But I have seen written on this board multiple times people giving advice on guide sizes for various weight fly rods using the "numbers". For example...for a 9 weight rod...Two strippers, #16 and #12, then single foot guides of one #5, two #4s and the rest #3s. Again, just an example, but a recommendation such as this is essentially meaningless if there is no industry standardization. If brands X, Y, and Z each make a number 3 guide, and none of those guides are the same diameter either inside or out, then telling someone to use number 3 guides seems a little silly to me.

The only way this type of advice would be useful it seems to me is if the person giving that advice is personally familiar with the guides in question, and states the exact guide models and sizes of a particular manufacturer. Otherwise it seems like a crapshoot.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: January 28, 2024 08:25AM

Ernie Blum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Measuring guide diameters, whether inside or
> outside, for the purpose of putting the ones you
> already own in size places is one thing. But I
> have seen written on this board multiple times
> people giving advice on guide sizes for various
> weight fly rods using the "numbers". For
> example...for a 9 weight rod...Two strippers, #16
> and #12, then single foot guides of one #5, two
> #4s and the rest #3s. Again, just an example, but
> a recommendation such as this is essentially
> meaningless if there is no industry
> standardization. If brands X, Y, and Z each make
> a number 3 guide, and none of those guides are the
> same diameter either inside or out, then telling
> someone to use number 3 guides seems a little
> silly to me.
>
> The only way this type of advice would be useful
> it seems to me is if the person giving that advice
> is personally familiar with the guides in
> question, and states the exact guide models and
> sizes of a particular manufacturer. Otherwise it
> seems like a crapshoot.

No such thing as 2 stripper guides on a rod

Date: January 28, 2024 08:44AM

Ron Weber Wrote:

> No such thing as 2 stripper guides on a rod

Technically true. I should have used the term "two double foot guides", but terminology aside, I was about to say that you get the point. But maybe you didn't. You can call those two guides Peter and Paul for all I care, the issue remains the same.

Date: January 28, 2024 11:57AM

Although different, they are close enough; a few thousandths here a few thousandths there. Sorta like hook sizes, which vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Pick the style and shape you like. To add a little more to the subject, it should also be mentioned that American and English snake guides differ in both shape and the direction the wire is twisted.
Norm

Date: January 28, 2024 12:34PM

Thanks for the thoughts on standardization. We had the same issues only much more serious in the Computer industry in the early days of the PC. Every company that made peripheral hardware had its software that you had to load before it would work. So if you bought an Epson Printer, you had to load the Epson software for that printer. An HP printer would not work until you loaded their software. Microsoft solved the problem with what is common in the industry today. They introduced the Hardware Access Layer or HAL (interesting name if you recall 2001)—a place to plug your hardware's software in. So there was a common software interface and every maker could now build machines that talked to that layer. Of course, nowadays all we do is plug in hardware and it works, but the same software is at work under the covers.

So, why isn't there a standardized system? Same question about hooks, why doesn't the industry standardize the hook sizing? It would really simplify the selection process.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster