I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing the wraps
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2024 12:44AM

Well,
My students have there guides positioned on the rods now and are starting to do the wrapping. Next big question for them is what to cover the wraps with. I have been doing some testing with CP, Epoxy and Man O War Varnish on Madiera thread. The results have not been very satisfying. I haven't finished a rod in some time but don't remember having this kind of issues in the past. All the threads seem to go very dark when wrapped on a dark blank. Even with Color Preserver the blank color seems to be bleeding through and making the thread so dark its almost impossible to see the original color.

What could be the problem.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing the wraps
Posted by: Fred Hansen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2024 06:24AM

Which CP did you use? How many coats? When using CP, I generally put on at least 2 coats. Without CP your thread will darken considerably on a dark blank. I personally prefer the look of my wraps without CP.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2024 08:55AM

Do not thin your color preserver. Water won't preserve the thread color.

Date: January 26, 2024 10:45AM

Fred used ProCoat. I applied a single coat, pretty heavy, let it soak in then removed the excess. After drying I applied Epoxy and got bad results. Some parts of the wrap were fine, but the rod bled through others. It was better under Epoxy than Varnish. It was hard to tell the difference between the varnish without CP and that with. The lighter colors still had the "splotchy" appearance.

Tom, no I didn't thin the CP but did thin the Varnish 50% so it's like water. Used mineral spirits to thin with. Everything I have read said to thin the Varnish. I may try to apply it straight and see what I get with that. So far my results are very disappointing, but pretty sure there's an answer either newer CP or new Varnish and Epoxy. Not sure how old any are. As I have said in previous threads, I have been away from the bench for a few years.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 26, 2024 11:55AM

John Wright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well,
> My students have there guides positioned on the
> rods now and are starting to do the wrapping.
> Next big question for them is what to cover the
> wraps with. I have been doing some testing with
> CP, Epoxy and Man O War Varnish on Madiera thread.
> The results have not been very satisfying. I
> haven't finished a rod in some time but don't
> remember having this kind of issues in the past.
> All the threads seem to go very dark when wrapped
> on a dark blank. Even with Color Preserver the
> blank color seems to be bleeding through and
> making the thread so dark its almost impossible to
> see the original color.
>
> What could be the problem.
>
> Thanks.

The thread you are using has a couple things you need to deal with. First, it has a lubricant added to it to help it slide thru needle and will most time cause Fish Eyes so you need a CP. Some say to put a piece of that thread in the finish when mixing to counteract this. Never had much success doing this. Second I use that thread for all my weaves and use a good CP to keep spool color. See latest weave of a Bengal Tiger in the latest issue of RodMaker.

Date: January 29, 2024 09:24PM

Kerry,

Been using Madiera for years and never experienced Fish-Eye effect. I have found that the color makes a big difference in how well the CP covers. Most of the time I need two and sometimes three coats to ensure true, or close to true color. However, if I want a "translucent" effect I don't use any CP and the color sometimes remains pretty true with a little blending of the blank color. I am in the process of conducting a series of tests with CP and Varnish finish as well as epoxy. I have several old arrow shafts that I have made several wraps of 5 different colors. Then I either coat the wraps with 0, 1, 2, or 3 coats of CP. One arrow is then covered with Man-O-War varnish, the other arrow is covered with Epoxy. Should prove interesting. So far the results of this test are much better than my first test. Only one coat of CP is questionable, 2 is good, and sometimes three coats result and a very true color.

So guess CP is necessary to preserve the color, unless there is a reason to want a translucent finish. Very interesting.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sf-cable.astound.net)
Date: January 30, 2024 12:22AM

I'd sure be interested in how you manage to never get fish eyes with Madeira thread. I love the stuff, the piece of sacrificial piece never worked for me either. But two or three coats of cp does the trick. It would be great to share your technique with the folks I help.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 30, 2024 06:24PM

Since I try to make my Color Change Weaves match, as close as I can, Mother Nature things, I want the CP to help me keep the selected spool color. There is a reason for all the different synthetic finishes out there for fishing rods so they stand up to the environment. So I wouldn't be using Varnishes unless you are trying to duplicate a historic item, and then I doubt a CP was used.

Posted by: Antonio Monticelli (---)
Date: January 31, 2024 08:52AM

Tried pro kote cp also. Seems to need like 48 hours to cure or you get bleeding.. seems to get Milky haze finish with multiple coats. It's OK

Ray cotes stuff is awesome. Down to my last bottle and I'm lost if I can't get more
It's clear. one light coat light coat and 24 hour cure. Awesome stuff. But to be honest it's a mom a pop stuff and I dunno what it is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster