I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Selling some rods - now what?
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: January 18, 2024 10:31AM

Like the title says, I am starting to sell some rods. I know of the FET that I should take into consideration. I also know there is alot of discussion around how much you should charge. Since Im new, Im thinking like $15 an hour for the labor. Do you guys start with a standard 'build fee' or 'materials fee' on top of the hourly and the necessary components for the build? I got taken advantage of before, so Im trying to be a little smarter this time around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Selling some rods - now what?
Date: January 18, 2024 10:50AM

I think I answered my own question by searching more in the archives

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 18, 2024 10:53AM

Hello Ken.

You are right pricing has been worked over the coals over the years, here are a few articles to read if you wish.

Volume/Issue...Article.......................Author..................Page.
8/5 Pricing Custom Rods (Part 3). By Tom Kirkman. 22
8/3 Pricing Custom Rods Part 1 of 3. By Tom Kirkman. 16
8/4 Pricing Custom Rods Part 2 of 3. By Tom Kirkman. 22
10/5 Pricing for Rod Repairs. 22
26/3 Pricing Repair Work By Warren Heartford. 24
18/4 Pricing Repair Work. By Warren Hartford. 12
2/3 Pricing Rods, A Starting Point For. 38
2/5 Pricing Rods, Image Just As Important As The Product?. By Tom Kirkman. 38
2/4 Pricing Rods, What Is Service Really Worth? By Tom Kirkman. 38
8/4 Pricing Sample Charts. 24
18/6 Pricing, Saltwater Repairs and New Builds. Chuck Bretz. 26

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2024 11:58AM

Basing your selling price by the hour will only penalize you in the long run. As you get better and more efficient at the various tasks, you'll make less and less money. Think about charging by the task. So much for wrapping a guide. So much for installing a grip or seat. So much for finishing, etc.

I don't know what you want or need to make but if you're doing it to make money I can't see making less than about $150 per rod beyond your actual cost. On some rods, such as fly rods, surf and trolling rods, I wouldn't bother unless I could turn at least $350 above my cost. But I don't know what your goal is.

Date: January 18, 2024 01:15PM

Thanks for your input Tom. Making money would be great, but its not a short-term goal. At this point, Im just glad that someone wants me to build them a rod. For now, Im just sticking with cost of materials and a flat fee based on complexity of the rod. I definitely got better over the past year or so, but not to the point where I can crank out a complex wrap in a couple hours. Once I get more confident, then I can start charging an hourly rate.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2024 02:20PM

Again, I'd charge by the task, not by the hour. Give it some thought.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 18, 2024 04:17PM

I agree with Tom, charge by the task. If you add up the actual hours involved in building a rod, not counting drying time for various epoxies and wrap finish, there isn't a lot of actual time spent building the rod. For me wrapping guides would be the most time consuming, and even at that, if it's a basic single color wrap, with no trim bands or inlays, you're talking maybe 5 - 7 minutes per guide. Say you have a rod with 10 guides on it, you only have maybe an hour and 10 minutes involved in wrapping the guides. Applying finish to the wraps, maybe a 1/2 an hour.

Personally, I've had a few inquiries about building a rod or two for people I fish with. I give them a flat rate based on what they want done. For me, minimum would be $100 above total cost of materials. If they want trim bands on the wraps. $150. If they want inlays, it goes up.

I had my own contracting business for a few years. The biggest obstacle to making money was the customers idea of how much something should cost. Some realized they were getting a good deal, others would balk at the prices I quoted. So I cut the prices to get the business and get a word of mouth thing going. The only problem with that is, word of mouth was the price they paid for the quality of workmanship they received. Everyone wanted that same price, even if their project was more involved. It just wasn't worth it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster