I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Coloring a repair
Posted by: Fred Hansen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2024 10:17AM

Hello all,
This is my first post here but I've been reading & learning here for some time (years). I'm not new to rod building (built my first rods in the early 90's) but have only built maybe 10 or so. I recently decided to repair a Lamiglass IC 70 MH Inshore Classic that broke cleanly about 2' down from the tip. I followed the repair instructions from Ralph O'Quinn in the library here. My internal plug & external sleeve are constructed from a broken Fenwick honey colored fiberglass rod. The Lamiglass rod has a fairly dark blue finish and I'd like to get the repair close in color. The sleeve is 3-5/8" in length & will need to have a guide wrapped on it with black thread. After doing a fair amount of searching & reading, here are the hair-brained ideas I've come up with so far.

1. Coat the repair with a colored epoxy finish. I've done some marbling & believe & I can get the color fairly close with Testors & epoxy finish. I would then have to wrap the guide over the colored finish & add another coat of clear finish the the thread wraps (not sure if this is a good idea). If I go this route, should I thin the colored finish? If so with what?

2. Coat the repair with colored Permagloss & then wrap & finish with epoxy . I've never used Permagloss but I have some coming today to apply on a CF grip for an 8wt build. I did a search on tinting PG & it seems there are mixed results.

3. This can't work because it would just be too easy. I have a Prismacolor maker that I colored a leftover piece of said honey colored blank. The color is spot on! I have to assume that an epoxy finish over it won't work as it will most likely lift the marker coloring from the blank.

I'm open to other ideas well. I look forward reading the advice from the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Thank you,
Fred

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coloring a repair
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: January 16, 2024 10:34AM

Your 3rd "too easy" choice is what I have done in the past and you don't need to coat the sleeve further if the marker is permanent.

Date: January 16, 2024 10:57AM

Ross Pearson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your 3rd "too easy" choice is what I have done in
> the past and you don't need to coat the sleeve
> further if the marker is permanent.

Thank you for the quick reply Ross.
I have a couple of questions.
1. If I wrap black thread & apply finish over the marker, will it bleed?

2. I'd like to coat over the marker to add some sheen as the repair area is dull from scotchbrite. Any concern doing that? I can/will do a test on the scrap piece I have.

Thanks again,
Fred

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 16, 2024 02:03PM

Have you considered number 3 with a color preserver between your fix and the epoxy?

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: January 16, 2024 02:20PM

Testing on a scrap piece is a good idea to reveal if your marker color will bleed with finish over it. Water-based markers don't bleed after drying when finish is applied but some "permanent" markers do bleed with finish applied. Testing will provide the answer for you.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 16, 2024 02:34PM

Since you are overwrapping the fix can't you do it in a close color and then install your guide over it with its color wrap?

Date: January 16, 2024 08:41PM

Ok, I applied finish to the test piece. So far it looks good. You can see a little bit of streaking from when I applied the marker. I will lightly scotchbrite the repair area before applying my finish to try & blend the marker some.
Thank you all for your input.
Fred

Date: January 16, 2024 08:47PM

Kerry Hansen Wrote:
> Have you considered number 3 with a color
> preserver between your fix and the epoxy?

If I'm not satisfied with the test piece, that will be my next try.
Thanks,
Fred

Date: January 16, 2024 08:55PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> Since you are overwrapping the fix can't you do it
> in a close color and then install your guide over
> it with its color wrap?

I suppose that would work, provided I can find the right color. The marker I used is ridiculously close in color.
Thanks,
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster