I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Going from travel blanks to premium 1pc blanks, recommendations?
Posted by: Chris Corning (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2024 02:55PM

Hello,

I've been building rods for personal use and since I live in the city they've all been 3pc mostly using Batson Revelation RX6 since I travel by motorcycle or plane to my fishing destinations. I did some research and it would appear my airline allows up to 2 rods + reels + tackle and counts them as a single checked item. I'm lucky to have status with them some years so even that checked bag is free for me. I'm generally happy with my RX6's but I'm becoming very intrigued with building a few 1pc premium blanks I can travel with when the chances arise. I'm also a little bit disappointed in the travel blank availability in general and don't really see the situation improving so I think it makes sense to just start building on 1pc with an appropriate travel case, I think I will be happier.

I just got a few RX7's in 3pc and I was a bit disappointed in them compared to my existing RX6's below in that they are much heavier, not as crisp feeling. I'm not sure where I went wrong but I was under the impression that they were more premium/higher modulus compared to my existing Revelation RX6's. I'll try to give them a call on Tuesday to understand where I went wrong.

Right now the rods I have are:

Rainshadow SB781-3: for BFS/ned rigs and paired with a Shimano Alderaban BFS reel. I measured IP 475g (ERN 17.2) and AA 78. It's a good rod but I'm looking for something around 7' and maybe a bit less power...
AT841-3 Mag Bass: measured IP 287.5 ERN 12.15 AA 73.7. I don't really like this rod at all, much too "noodly" for my tastes but it could also be that I don't like spinning setups either, not sure.
SB841-3: I measured ERN 20.9 IP 609 AA 83.1. I put 10lb FC on with a DC reel. The rod is fun to use for weightless worms but has trouble with stuff 0.7oz I'd say.
SB843-3: measured ERN 22.7, IP 675 AA 75.2. Good all around workhorse although a bit too powerful for weightless 5" senkos.

I'm looking to build a new BFS rod in the 7' range to replace the SB781-3. I'm very intrigued by PointBlank blanks and the PB701LXF looks like it may work well with ERN 16.2 IP 440 and AA 77. It has the extra length I want and slightly less power and I'm not sure of the best AA for a BFS/ned rig rod, should the rated AA 77 be OK? I've read elsewhere on the forum that the people really like the P 700-1(X-Ray LMX) and it's on sale now for $95 from $250.

Continuing on the 1pc route, I think I'd like a replacement for the SB843-3 that is capable of throwing up to 1oz max for musky and inshore fishing. I'd use this rod for generally 3/4oz mepps, odd crankbaits (not gonna build a dedicated crankbait rod just for that), buzz baits, and frogs for light cover. If the rod can also throw wacky 5" rigs or texas rigs with 1/8oz weights, then that would be ideal as well and I'd just settle on this and the BFS and that's it. Otherwise I can also bring my SB841-3 or build another 1pc to cover this application use case. For PB, it looks like the PB701MF would is a bit more powerful than the SB843-3. I'm intrigued by the PB731 series to get that extra 3" which I think I would like to help getting more casting distance especially for onshore. Maybe the PB731MXF would do best? I know Kyle the fisherman swears by the PB731MHXF as his main workhorse but I'm fishing NE USA/Canada and I don't have that much heavy cover to worry about an 826g that seems to be quite heavy.

In terms of blanks, I'm so far quite leaning on PointBlank as I've heard good things about its TNF and people are very happy with them. I've also heard good things about Batson's Immortal or Eternity. I know NFC has a very good reputation but I'm less familiar with all of their offerings and I'm not really in a position to spend $1000 building a bunch of rods until I find the right one (if I can help it!). I've never tried MHX before but I imagine they're probably in the same class as the Revelation RX6's? I guess one last consideration is the 2pc St Croix blanks in SCIV, SCV then that way I don't need to worry about an ~8' case. In the end I think it only makes sense to put myself in the position of going from a ~3' travel case to a ~8' travel case if the new build will be that much better than what I have now.

For travel case I'm looking at [www.planooutdoors.com] which goes up to 8'6". I sure as heck hope it can safely transport 1pc rods.

EDIT: I should also ask, just how much better would you guys consider these premium blanks above say an RX6?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2024 03:53PM by Chris Corning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Going from travel blanks to premium 1pc blanks, recommendations?
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---)
Date: January 13, 2024 06:28PM

If you are doing a spinning rod, go with the Point Blank. For a BFS casting rod look at the NFC P703-1 Lambda LMX, you will not be disappointed. I usually cut this blank down to 6' 8.75" to net a 6'9" and cast every thing from 1/16 oz plastics to a 1 oz top dog. If you go with natural cork grips, a split grip with a butt section and a rear grip, no fore grip and go light on the decoration and epoxy, with micro guides. You can make a rod that weighs less than 2.75 oz. With the Aldebaran reel you will have a rod and reel that weighs less than a half pound.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2024 06:30PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: January 13, 2024 06:39PM

When you say premium blanks I think you will only see a minor difference from those and your RX6. It is going to be more about the taper [AA] and power [ERN] than the material when those materials are so close in properties. The other thing I would worry about is traveling on airlines with a 1-pc 7 footer. Many airlines are not that friendly these days when it comes to longer pieces of luggage. At least not if you want to carry it on. And I would not check a nice rod with any airlines. I think they pay people to see how much stuff they can break. These people break PVC pipes. They can and eventually will break any Plano rod tube.

Date: January 13, 2024 07:03PM

Mike Ballard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you say premium blanks I think you will only
> see a minor difference from those and your RX6. It
> is going to be more about the taper [AA] and power
> [ERN] than the material when those materials are
> so close in properties. The other thing I would
> worry about is traveling on airlines with a 1-pc 7
> footer. Many airlines are not that friendly these
> days when it comes to longer pieces of luggage. At
> least not if you want to carry it on. And I would
> not check a nice rod with any airlines. I think
> they pay people to see how much stuff they can
> break. These people break PVC pipes. They can and
> eventually will break any Plano rod tube.

Interesting you say that. I would have thought these higher end rods would have been a world of a difference but again, I've never really even held a high end rod in my end and the highest end would be the RX6's I've built. Obviously there's a lot of convenience in being able to carry 3-4 of these rods plus fly rods in less than 36" tubes so maybe it's not really worth building a 1pc at this point until at least I move out of the city to where I don't always need to either motorcycle or fly to where I want to fish. I think there's one manufacturer I haven't tried in NZ that has high end travel blanks, forget if they do 3pc or have an offering for the specific IP/AA targets I'm look at it. I really wish it were easier for manufacturers to make travel blanks or that there was higher demand for it to make more sense for them to make them using higher grade materials.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-107.net)
Date: January 13, 2024 07:28PM

If you mean CTS New Zealand yes they make very nice blanks. Not sure about their selection that would meet your AA and ERN criteria for bass use but they probably have something that would work. I think they offer to make any blank into a multipiece version for a slight upcharge. Not sure if they put in spigots or actually design in a ferrule but you could always contact them and ask. Something else I thought about is that if you are going to the expo next month all these companies and more will be there. There is no substitute for actually getting a blank in your hands and feeling it.

Date: January 13, 2024 07:56PM

Yeah CTS - I think one of their reps replied to an earlier post by me to that effect. I'll check their offerings out again and perhaps reach out, would be nice to have one super premium rod to just know what it's like. I know going from my St Croix 4pc Triumph which I think is an SCII or some lesser version of it, when trying out the Revelation RX6 it was a complete eye opener, I was curious if maybe things would be the same with NFC/PB. Also, what expo? I can try to attend if I'm able. Thanks!

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2024 07:59PM

Take a look at the NFC travel blanks. They have a large selection of very nice high end travel blanks. I’ve made up four them for friends and they love them.
[northforkcomposites.com]

High end high modulus blanks really do have a unique feel about them. Point Blank, Rainshadow Eternity, St Croix V, NFC X-ray, CTS blanks are all extremely light and are very crisp and responsive. Hard to go wrong with any of these blanks.
Here’s a link to the Expo in Winston Salem, NC. Plenty of high end blanks to wiggle there.
[www.icrbe.com]
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2024 08:06PM by Norman Miller.

Date: January 13, 2024 08:18PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
For a BFS casting rod look at the NFC
> P703-1 Lambda LMX, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for your reply, I wonder if they're able to make into a 3pc or if you know of any other 3-4pc of the same caliber?

Date: January 13, 2024 08:27PM

Indeed CTS appears to have one 3pc I found: the CTS Air A04 7'6" 6-15g (3/16 - 1/2oz). I guess this could be a replacement fort he SB841-3CG but is prob a bit too long and powerful to use as a BFS. It's $255 USD + I'm sure shipping is an arm and a leg from NZ too.

For NFC travel blanks, I'm seeing LMX Travel Fresh Water mostly in 4pc and some 3pc. They're around $145 and claim they are constructed of a blend of IM, HM, and X-ray. I wasn't able to find any CCS numbers for them. How would these compare to the RX6's in terms of crispness, feel and overall quality?

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2024 10:02PM

Here are CCS numbers for three of the NFC travel blanks I built.

SJ683-4 IP = 467 gm. AA = 76.5
MB683-4 IP= 518 gm. AA = 73.5
MB704-4 IP = 740 gm. AA = 74.5

Also built the MB635-5 but did not measure it before I made it up and give it to a friend. It was more powerful than the other three blanks, and was ultra compact. All four of these blanks were suitable for bass and inshore fishing.
Norm

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 14, 2024 12:48AM

I tried that Plano case with terrible results. The TSA inspectors broke my rods twice with it. I’m assuming they slammed the telescoping tubes down on them. I recommend building a full length case out of pvc parts, with a screw cap. I have had no issues, except for bent guides, on quite a few trips after doing this. I did a full length wrap with white gorilla tape and then taped on a nylon strap handle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2024 12:54AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 14, 2024 01:20AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> High end high modulus blanks really do have a
> unique feel about them. Point Blank, Rainshadow
> Eternity, St Croix V, NFC X-ray, CTS blanks are
> all extremely light and are very crisp and
> responsive. Hard to go wrong with any of these
> blanks.
> Norm

Well said (written) Norm. I’ve built on most of these and they have all been great. I now usually go with the St. Croix V and Rainshadow Eternity series for freshwater, but I certainly respect the others you listed. I round these out with United Composites for saltwater builds and the Rainshadow Immortal series for value builds. My fly rod quiver has been set for several years and so has those of my friends. I’m wrapping an Eternity tomorrow and then will move on to a surf caster. This will require me to move out of my well-tested, comfortable blank selection routine.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2024 09:21AM

CTS will be at the Expo. I suspect they would be happy to bring any particular model blank with them for those who want to handle a specific blank.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (181.214.151.---)
Date: January 14, 2024 10:16AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> CTS will be at the Expo. I suspect they would be
> happy to bring any particular model blank with
> them for those who want to handle a specific
> blank.
>
> ...........

YES!!
Just tell me which ones.
Herb
CTS. U.S. Rep.

Date: January 14, 2024 01:12PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
> Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > CTS will be at the Expo. I suspect they would
> be
> > happy to bring any particular model blank with
> > them for those who want to handle a specific
> > blank.
> >
> > ...........
>
>
> YES!!
> Just tell me which ones.
> Herb
> CTS. U.S. Rep.

I booked my flights and should be able to make the event, I'd say 70% chance. If this is OK with you and it's not too much trouble then I'd be curious to see the 3pc Air and any other 3pc travel rods ranging from ultralight/BFS/finesse to inshore.

Also, maybe a stupid question but are there blanks to buy at the EXPO?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2024 01:17PM by Chris Corning.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2024 02:50PM

There will be about 10,000 blanks for sale at the Expo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster