I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building a 6'4(ish) rod from a 6'8" blank
Posted by: Josh Freeseman (---.132.202.142.valleytel.net)
Date: January 12, 2024 08:25PM

Hello

I am looking at building a pair of rod for jig raps, to be fished mostly vertical. Looking at something 6'3 to 6'6" MAX. I have a couple x-ray SB 684's coming. I really like the action of that blank as a full size. How much can I take off the butt end and maintain the original action/power? I would like to take 5 inches and get to 6'3", but would be ok with taking less off if I needed to be safe. I also don't want to end up with a noodle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building a 6'4(ish) rod from a 6'8" blank
Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: January 12, 2024 11:36PM

There is no way to really know but you will experience a noticeable change in power taking 5" off of a 6'8" rod.

2 options would be to run CCS on the blank at full length and marked at your desired length

Or just dry fit a grip and reel seat at the shortened length with some taped on guides and see how it casts

That specific blank is on the lower end of a true medium power (IP 450). Not sure what you need power wise for jig raps but u imagine a 6'3" version of that rod would fish more into the ML power category, somewhere around IP 400.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 13, 2024 08:15AM

A few inches (2-3) should not be noticable.
One way to tell is install just a tip top and tie a line to a substantial object to anchor it.
Then grasp it at the very end and lift.
Then try it a couple of inches farther up.
and maybe another time or two until you get to the length you want.
That will be a quick (and "shade-tree") test,
and should help you determine whether to cut or not.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2024 09:30AM

If you take an inch off the butt the original action and power will change. Although only by a small amount. The more you trim the more things will change. 5 inches will be noticeable but that doesn't mean you won't like it. Mock it up and slide the handle forward 5 inches and try it. That way you'll know exactly what you'll have if you trim and build it that way.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 13, 2024 08:13PM

As others have said.

Chop theblank, build the blank and enjoy catching all of the fish.

Be safe

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 14, 2024 11:46AM

RIGHT ON, ROGER!

Josh, chop away!

BECAUSE.......

1) It works out and you have a rod you are happy with.

2) It does not work out But now you know what to do (experience) for the next build.

3) AND MOST IMPORTANT! You get to go fishing.

Have fun

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 14, 2024 11:45PM

Four inches off the butt of a 6’8” rod is unlikely to be an extreme change of action. I start to worry at more than six inches off of a 7’ rod, which is about seven percent. This is an even five percent reduction. It will slow it down a little (not necessary 5%), but maybe not enough to move it from a fast to a moderate fast action as defined by action angle in CCS. Looking at the NFC chart, it appears to be near to the division for a moderate-fast action, so it could. Either way, this is most likely to be a noticeable but fairly slight change. As stated above, you can test this before cutting. I can’t prove it, but I believe the slowing in the actions in my butt cut rods changes more towards the butts than the tips. A couple of years ago I started a thread on this without any definitive responses. Since then, I’ve been observing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2024 11:51PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster