I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC LMXFAF908 vs Rod Geeks C4F908.4
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: January 12, 2024 05:21PM

The last time I built a fly rod was over twenty years ago. I know exactly nothing about the NFC fly blanks these days, but am looking at the LMXFAF in an 8wt., and the Rod Geeks Carbon 4 fly blank also in an 8wt. I am looking for a fast action rod, as I own other rods in 8 and 9 weights that are slower than I wish they were. I don't need another slower action rod in those weight ranges.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these blanks? I would use the rod in salt water for inshore species...trout, snook, redfish, ladyfish and possibly small tarpon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC LMXFAF908 vs Rod Geeks C4F908.4
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 12, 2024 07:32PM

I have built the LMXFAF 9' 8wt. It is a fast action rod but not ridiculously so. I fished it only once in Cabo off the beach in November for several days. I was throwing an SA Anadro WF 7 line, which has a 225 grain head in its first 30 feet, whereas a AFTMA standard 8 wt line is 210, and a half-size heavy 8 WF would be about 225 grains (SA Infinity). So the Anadro 7WF is really like a 1/2 size heavy 8WF. It cast the Anadro quite well and with no issues and I could rip out a lot of line with a weighted streamer. I like the rod very much. I was catching 13-16" roosterfish right off the beach and the 8 wt had plenty of sensitivity and bend when fighting the fish. It is fast action but not overly stiff. I also have a LMXFAF 9' 5 wt which I enjoy fishing.

For the price I do not think you can do better than the LMX fly blanks, especially since they are often on deal

If you really want something with more backbone that is faster then I would go for an NFC Gamma Beta but you will of course pay more.

I have no experience with the Rod Geek blanks, but their Carbon 4 fly blank is basically the same as a St. Croix Imperial, which is a decent rod but nothing special. You can of course have a color choice with Rod Geeks if that matters to you. You might find a place that carries an Imperial and give it a try.

Personally, I would say go with the NFC.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 12, 2024 09:21PM

I built a RodGeeks C4904-4 (paired with SA Amplitude Infinity fly line) for my dad and a NFC F904-2 (paired with basic cheeky preload fly line) for myself. The Rodgeeks blank is one of the best casting rods I’ve ever used, I’m not sure if it’s because of the line but it’s nearly effortless.

While the NFC is still an excellent blank, the Rodgeeks is just simply better. The LMX FAF series is the step above the one I built, but I don’t think you can go wrong with the C4908.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: January 13, 2024 08:05AM

The FAF is definitely a fast powerful 8, with the 9 being just a slight power increase and a scoonch more moderate. Haven’t tried the RG yet, but I am going the opposite of you looking for a bit more moderate lighter blank.

Date: January 13, 2024 10:03AM

Thank you guys for your input.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2024 10:38AM

Action isn't power - it's where the blank initially flexes. If you apply enough load, all blanks will flex into the butt area.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2024 12:53PM

I have the Rod Geeks rod. It measured AA=75 degrees, IP=178 gms, ERN 9, recommended line weight 225 grains. I use this for bonefish in the Bahamas and it is my go to rod. I broke the tip section and Rod Geeks helped me to get another tip section. They were very accommodating.

I have the LMX Beta Gamma, not sure if it is the same rod you mention. It's numbers are AA=63 degrees, IP=211 grams, ERN=10.2, recommended line weight 268 grams. It is definitely a slower action and a heavier rod.

I've found with the fly rod blanks I have that they are heavier than their rating, as seen above. One blank I built was a Pac Bay Arctos that was advertised as an 8 weight and came in at an 8 weight once I ran the numbers. I like that rod a lot also.

If I had to pick between the two you mention, I would stay with the Rod Geeks blank based on my experience. I have nothing against the NFC blank as I have that rod also and many others from the NFC family. They are fine rods. The Rod Geeks is closest to an 8 weight and a fast action rod.

Date: January 14, 2024 10:22PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Action isn't power - it's where the blank
initially flexes. If you apply enough load, all
blanks will flex into the butt area.

Yes Tom...but unless there is some sort of standard procedure to perform the "stress test" on any given blank, all the data on paper is meaningless or perhaps better put very difficult to interpret. Without some standardization, one will never be able to compare apples to apples. The NFC blank in question here has a "flex graph" supplied by NFC showing the blank tip being weighed down with 12 ounces. What is the significance of the 12 ounces? AND...with that weight, the rod seems to flex WAY more than I would interpret as a fast action rod.

Yes...if you used half that weight, the rod will likely flex much differently. Perhaps then the graph may make it look like a much faster rod. I get the idea, but in the end I'm still left wondering what the action actually is.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2024 09:34AM

Action is where the blank INITIALLY flexes. The graph does not depict that.

As far as a standard test for action, just push the tip up against the ceiling a little bit and look at it. Where is most of the flex? If it's in the upper 3rd, it's a fast action blank. If it's in the upper 1/2, it's a medium action blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster