I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod tip top questions
Posted by: Al purvis (---)
Date: January 09, 2024 03:51PM

I know when building rods that you want the smallest guide train possible. I was wondering about fly rod guides however. If I’m running single foot guides on a build and am going down to a size 3 recoil guide should my tip top opening match the smallest running guides in front of it? I was mainly curious as to how you guys do this as there are recoil tip tops that are standard, large, and x-large loops. I’m almost certain other manufacturers offer different sized loops on their tip tops as well.

In short, does your tip top opening need to match the running guide(s) in front of it or can there be room for a large opening that’s bigger than your smallest running guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod tip top questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2024 04:08PM

It certainly needn't be any smaller, or you have negated anything gained by using the smallest guide that'll easily pass your knots and/or loop connections. Larger? It doesn't necessarily need to be and will only add a bit more weight in the worst possible place to add it, but it's not going to ruin the rod. There can be one reason to use a tiptop one size larger than your guides, however, and that is due to the angle of the line the top has to accommodate. Your running guides only handle line coming is straight to their openings. The tiptop often has to pass line coming in at some degree of angle. If I were you I'd mock up the rod and do some retrieving on the lawn with a tiptop the same size as your guides and then perhaps one size larger. Make sure to bring your knots or loops through it to mimic what you'll be doing on the water. In 15 or 20 minutes you should have your answer.

Posted by: Al purvis (---)
Date: January 09, 2024 04:26PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It certainly needn't be any smaller, or you have
> negated anything gained by using the smallest
> guide that'll easily pass your knots and/or loop
> connections. Larger? It doesn't necessarily need
> to be and will only add a bit more weight in the
> worst possible place to add it, but it's not going
> to ruin the rod. There can be one reason to use a
> tiptop one size larger than your guides, however,
> and that is due to the angle of the line the top
> has to accommodate. Your running guides only
> handle line coming is straight to their openings.
> The tiptop often has to pass line coming in at
> some degree of angle. If I were you I'd mock up
> the rod and do some retrieving on the lawn with a
> tiptop the same size as your guides and then
> perhaps one size larger. Make sure to bring your
> knots or loops through it to mimic what you'll be
> doing on the water. In 15 or 20 minutes you should
> have your answer.
>
> ...........

Thanks for the detailed explanation Tom. These questions are all hypothetical, but what would you do in the event that your only options are to have your tip top slightly smaller or slightly bigger than the running guides? I’m not sure that is a common scenario but I figured it’s happened at some point right?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2024 07:43PM

Slightly larger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster